Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When do you have too much fabric? >
  • When do you have too much fabric?

• When do you have too much fabric?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    It doesn't matter how much fabric you have - you never have the right shade for a specific quilt so you have to buy more!
    This is my problem EXACTLY!!!
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 AM

It's one of those things each person has to decide for themselves. The perfect amount for me is a drop in the bucket compared to some stashes I've seen. But at the same time the perfect amount for me is overwhelming for people that prefer to do one quilt at a time.

But basically, if it's causing you problems to store or organize or use, then it's too much.
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    You can never have too much fabric.

Dina
    I was not sure you could even use those words in the same sentence- I mean is it allowed ? Is this going to be a Stephen King movie ?
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I had too much fabric and gave away lots of it to people who didn't have much. Then I turned around and organized my room and I feel so good about everything. My room is tidy for once. I know where everything is! I helped out a few people and really helped out myself. I continue to buy new fabric and have lots of room for it. I gave away the fabric I knew I would never use and the people that got it loved it. Life is good again!!
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 AM

When do you have too much fabric? Never? I didn't know that could happen!
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Never. This is from the woman who has over 1000 comic boards with fabric wrapped around them. I still hit the sales. It's a nice a diction,
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 AM

This is a fun thread, it's so nice to be in good company. I just wonder if anyone else quickly checked the posters locations who said they were shopping sales.... The only thing better than pretty new fabric is pretty new fabric on sale (or free!)
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM
    Power Poster

I think you have too much when you are no longer enjoying it. this could be because it has filled up your sewing space, because you ran out of money, makes you feel guilty because you will not use it all etc. I think there is nothing wrong with getting fabric and not using it. If you can afford it and it makes you happy to shop for it and collect it then it has served its purpose.
    Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes
    Never. This is from the woman who has over 1000 comic boards with fabric wrapped around them. I still hit the sales. It's a nice a diction,
    QUESTION: I guess I should know but I don't....what are comic boards? Where do you get them? Also I have a problem.....I never want to cut my fabric because I want to save a particular fabric for just the right project but I never find the right project for it and I go buy more as a project comes up, saving the stash for just the right project which I never seem to find for that fabric, etc. etc. I am hopeless, but I agree here with bunbytes....."NEVER" too much fabric.
    Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 AM

I prefer to keep my money in the bank - once fabric starts appreciating in value, I'll start investing. So too much for me is when I feel like I've got too much cash tied up in something I'm not using. I like to shop for specific projects, and then fill in with leftovers, but so far in my short quilting career I am finding that I struggle to find projects to use the fabric that I bought "on spec". Of course, thousands of dollars worth of yarn that I will never finish using up has changed my attitude about stashing. If I'm still quilting a year from now, I may change my tune completely