Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE >
  • When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE

• When a friend asks What do you charge for this: UPDATE

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 AM

She may be upset, but probably not as much as she would be if you took on a job bigger than you feel you can finish well, and either didn't finish it - or didn't do your best work.

When you do tackle the radiant star - LOTS of starch!
    Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
    She may be upset, but probably not as much as she would be if you took on a job bigger than you feel you can finish well, and either didn't finish it - or didn't do your best work.

When you do tackle the radiant star - LOTS of starch!
    Pretty quilt in your avatar! I do plan on making one - a wallhanging for my folks for Christmas 2012. That gives me time and it's not a large quilt. I know my limits and my body has problems at times. I don't want to start then have to have down time due to my back going out and not being able to finish like you say.
    Thank you for the tip on lots of starch.
    Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM

It's good that you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart. And it's ok to do it every once in a while for a friend or relative. If you are not charging for the labor, ask for a donation. At least you will be getting something for your time. And the donation cost may just suprise you. I have asked for donations on little projects that I do for my church (little pins for Easter, Mother's day, Christmas). The donation amounts that I get usually exceed the cost that I would ask for. People who know the value of someone's handmade work have no problem paying for what they want.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM

She still wants me to do the quilt, I told her that all dark fabric is not going to work as she would need to do values.
    She wanted Royal Blue, Hunter Green etc, no med or light fabric for contrast.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Suggestion: Do a small 4 or 9 block in the colors she wants and let her see it. That may help her in deciding to use a lighter color with it.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ColesGirl
    Suggestion: Do a small 4 or 9 block in the colors she wants and let her see it. That may help her in deciding to use a lighter color with it.
    She is out of state - Texas, I am in Virginia. She wants marbled fabric, the queen size needs 6 fabrics of value. I don't have the colors she wants in my shash right now. Should do a print with the marbled fabric to give it the value it really needs.
    Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Is she going to a quilt shop for the fabric? Maybe someone there can show her what you are talking about. I know how it is to try and tell someone what they need to make something look good. I used to sew clothes for people. Not anymore. When their mind is set on one thing, it's hard to change it, even for their own good.
    Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM

take her wants and put together some combinations for her approval. Since she is wanting darker color scheme maybe try for a dark background with lighter star - since there is a lot of background (my mom thought there was too much white in mine)
    Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ColesGirl
    Is she going to a quilt shop for the fabric? Maybe someone there can show her what you are talking about. I know how it is to try and tell someone what they need to make something look good. I used to sew clothes for people. Not anymore. When their mind is set on one thing, it's hard to change it, even for their own good.
    She is looking online at fabric, choosing that way, telling me what to purchase when she sends me the money.
    Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
    take her wants and put together some combinations for her approval. Since she is wanting darker color scheme maybe try for a dark background with lighter star - since there is a lot of background (my mom thought there was too much white in mine)
    Your star is beautiful, the white accents the star and makes it shine. My friend wants dark rainbow with sky blue and blue backing.
    I sent her email saying you need value in this dark, med and light to the star