Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When making a block, do you try to keep the integrity of the fabric pattern? >
  • When making a block, do you try to keep the integrity of the fabric pattern?

• When making a block, do you try to keep the integrity of the fabric pattern?

Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Default When making a block, do you try to keep the integrity of the fabric pattern?

Note: If you are my January block swap buddy (sorry, I have forgotten your name) - READ NO FURTHER!!!

Sorry I ask so many questions - but it seems I just have so many! I am planning to do a card trick block using the fabric shown below, white and red. I think it would be great to somehow line things up so that the fabric pattern looked continuous over the whole card (rather than all mixed up, going in different directions, etc).

Is this possible? I know there are those seams in there - seems like it would require lots of measuring and fussy cutting, and then I would still mess it up, as I am a newbie.

Any thoughts?

If I can't keep the integrity of the pattern in a card trick, I may try another pattern that highlights this fabric. The block needs to be traditional, red and white and 12". Any thoughts?

Thanks! You all are the best!
    Attached Thumbnails phone2.jpg  
    Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Beautiful fabric! I am arithmetically challenged so I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.
    Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM
    Power Poster

I think it will be difficult to keep the pattern on a Card Trick matched. Someone on QB did do one with stripes and matched them but it looked tricky. I think you might have better luck fussy cutting your red for the center of the Churn Dash or similar pattern.
    Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM
    Power Poster

Yes it is possible, but as you stated, it will require a lot of planning, fussy cutting and using a lot more fabric. I would probably consider a different block. How about dutchman's puzzle?

Have a look at quilter's cache:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html