Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When making a controlled scrappy quilt...... >
  • When making a controlled scrappy quilt......

• When making a controlled scrappy quilt......

Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    To me a scrappy quilt isn't a truly a scrappy unless it has many, many fabrics....whether in one color family or several. A blue quilt with, say, 8, or, 9, or 10 fabrics is ....a pretty blue quilt, not a scrappy, in my world.

I'm talking 40/50/60+ fabrics = a scrappy for me!

Jan in VA
    My thoughts exactly!
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 AM

To me a scrappy quilt is every color of the rainbow. I don't think of a quilt as 'scrappy' if it looks like I bought the fabric especially for that quilt. I'm working on a quilt for my daughter that has 10 purples in it. It is not a scrappy because it is too planned.
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 AM

The last scrappy quilt I did was for a mystery class. I used 2 Tonga Treats packs of 2-1/2" strips. One had 2 strips each of 23 different colors called Bubble Gum and the other was 2 strips of 23 different beiges for the background. That is the most different fabrics I have ever used in a quilt. The pieced border was made from a layer cake of the same fabrics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417085[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2013-05-26-jeremiahs-quilt-top.jpg  
    Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM

To me a scrappy quilt isn't a truly a scrappy unless it has many, many fabrics....whether in one color family or several. A blue quilt with, say, 8, or, 9, or 10 fabrics is ....a pretty blue quilt, not a scrappy, in my world.

Jan in VA
    Oh yeah, that's the description of my scrappy quilts too!
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
    Power Poster

Jan in VA
    Jan is right MORE the better otherwise I normally go NUTS when the same fabric is too close to itself.
    Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 AM

I made a "Tonga Coastal" this spring that had 96 different fabrics. And yet it doesn't really look scrappy because each box has only three fabrics to make the rounds. My scrappy quilts are crumbs or confetti, maybe sewn into blocks with neutral sashing or just all sewn together. Could be 100's of different fabrics.
    Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 AM

Jan in VA
    I'm with you, Jan! The only time I "control" the fabrics is when I decide to make one block all blue, or purple, or black and white. Even that isn't very often.

Renate
    Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Anael
    I'm making controlled scrappy log cabin blocks and I need light and dark fabrics. I use lots of different fabrics. Here's a picture
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]417066[/ATTACH]
    Back to YOUR question...I agree with Anael and Woody, if you want to do a controlled scrappy, just keep the values together but use different prints within it. I DO like a lot of the controlled scrappys, too. Everyone has their preferences!
    Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 AM

I am a true scrappy girl. Like Jan said first, the more different fabrics the better. Quiltville changed my world. I've made 14 of her quilts and only one was made with 7 fabrics. That one was a scrappy Trips Around the World. My friend from S. Africa does travel around the world and she saw this fabric when I bought it. So that was her wedding gift. Bonnie does lots of controlled scrappy and I do love them. Here are a few. The one on the end is string blocks which are a blast to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]417277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]417279[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails cid_part1_09040900_08060206%40macinhouse.jpg   dsc_0007.jpg   014.jpg  
    Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 AM

Judi in Ohio, what's the name of your second quilt? I love that! Can I find a free pattern do you think? I love scrappy quilts. I'm such a control freak I think I'll do the bag trick so I don't agonize over what goes where. Thanks!