Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When is it time to replace rulers? >
  • When is it time to replace rulers?

• When is it time to replace rulers?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Go Splurge. You wouldn't think twice about replacing a flat tire would you? Well, your rulers are just as important.
    Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
    Suz

When you replace it, get one of the frosted ones made by Omnigrid. It does not slip. Plan to replace mine one at a time with the fronted ones.

Suzanne
    Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM

I have lightly sanded with an emery board, but the time comes when you just have to replace it. Bite the bullet, its an important tool
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 PM

I may not be entirely on topic, but these are my thoughts about your post and the responses regarding whether or not to keep the ruler: I don't think it matters if you measure and cut by ruler or by mat as long as you don't switch back and forth. You can use the mat to square the fabric, then measure and cut by ruler OR use the mat to square and measure, then just use the ruler as a cutting guide. I think the trick is to be consistant. A dear cousin, who's my quilting mentor, also advised me to stick with one brand of ruler because they're usually consistent within a brand, but not necessarily so from brand to brand. I'm guessing this is probably also true for cutting mats. Hope this helps you make your decision.
    Old 11-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    I may not be entirely on topic, but these are my thoughts about your post and the responses regarding whether or not to keep the ruler: I don't think it matters if you measure and cut by ruler or by mat as long as you don't switch back and forth. You can use the mat to square the fabric, then measure and cut by ruler OR use the mat to square and measure, then just use the ruler as a cutting guide. I think the trick is to be consistant. A dear cousin, who's my quilting mentor, also advised me to stick with one brand of ruler because they're usually consistent within a brand, but not necessarily so from brand to brand. I'm guessing this is probably also true for cutting mats. Hope this helps you make your decision.
    Great advice.
    Old 11-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I personally have a hard time throwing them away. I have a 3" X 24" that I used as a fly swatter and it's in three pieces now. I replaced it, but still have the other three parts that I use when I need a short ruler. I'm just cheap, what more can I say.
    I save old rulers also. if you have access to a band-saw, they make great templates for all kinds of straight shapes.have one cut 6 1/2" square, 3 1/2", etc. cut your old mat into an 18 1/2" square for when you cut out panels, make pillows, etc. while talking band-saw---don't forget that you can cut through a full roll of freezer paper and make shorter rolls instead of wasting paper cutting off the big roll all the time. I do 3",4,5,6".
    Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM

I would suggest replacing it before you have an injury. A good tip is to angle your blade so that you are cutting the material and not the rule,( for your new one).
    Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Wow, thanks "smitty" - never thought about cutting down a whole roll of freezer paper!! That just makes soooo much sense.
    Old 11-09-2010, 05:53 PM

You know, I just saw an add for a new type of ruler that supposedly sharpens your cutter with each cut. I believe it is called Creative Edge. One side of the ruler has a carbon edge. I have not seen one in the store yet, but were I replacing, I might consider this type.
    Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM

My 6X24 ruler was still fairly new when I stepped on it (don't ask why it was on the floor)and now it has a heel-shaped void. My son cut it down & made a template for me with the leftover piece.