Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When is a UFO a UFO? >
  • When is a UFO a UFO?

• When is a UFO a UFO?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Stash..

BUT if you plan on using it for just that purpose Id find a bag/box/tote to put all the 'ingredients' in so you dont mistakenly use it for something else.. Been there, Done that !

IMHO a UFO is a project started and not quite finished.. Sometimes one gets bored and another pattern crosses our paths and we just cant wait to begin the new one and it gets tucked away and put aside.. And thats how it begins.. slowly...first its one, then two.. then when its waaaaay to late you realize you have a doz or so UFO's patiently waiting to be the top LOVE again.. lol..

Today IM making one of my UFO my top LOVE... ONE down only 18 more UFO's to go !!!
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

Stash is "just fabric." It can be used in any pattern. A UFO is already progressed into some form of an object - meaning a pattern has been selected, the fabric cut and the assembly has been started. At some point in the process, the project was put aside for whatever reason. Some UFOs are intended to be picked up again and put into the WIP (work in progress) state. Others will never be finished and linger in the UFO state until they are passed on.
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C
    Got to agree with everyone else. Stash
    Same here!
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Humpf. I think it can be a UFO if you want it to be!

But, that said, my "I've-pulled-fabrics-for-this-project-and-put-it-all-in-one-place" I call PIGS = Projects in grocery sacks. There. They have a name that's between UFOs and stash. LOL!

Jan in VA
    Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM
    Power Poster

STASH! a ufo is an unfinished item- a project that you started & for what ever reason set aside perhaps with no desire to ever finish- a wip is a 'work in progress' that one may be set aside for the moment- but you still work on it- or plan to - maybe need to pick something up for-
    to me the ufo's are the ones that i may want to finish-but may never- ones that for what ever reason i gave up on= or lost interest in- it is not being worked on- if i pull it out & do start it again- it happily moves from the ufo box to the wip box- oh happy day! quite often i (share) my ufo's---send them off with someone who can see an end- where i can not....I do have one that is over 10 years old- that i have so much money wrapped up in- i haven't been able to give it away- but i also have not been able to work on it either...will probably be a gazillion pieces in a box when i die...for someone else to deal with...ufo's....
    my goal this year is to not create any ufo's!!!
    Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM

PBNS = planned but not started, that's what you call it and if you're looking for permission to work on it, I say go for it. Isn't all of this supposed to be fun and not a bunch of rules or chores? Listen to your heart and start it if you want to.
    Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2blackcats
    Is it a UFO when you have bought the material but not started the project? I was on a mission to finish my UFOs and then came across these layer cakes I had bought to make table runners. Are those layer cakes UFOs or just part of my stash? Just trying to get a handle on all of this material. What do you guys think?

IMO, some cutting and stitching would have to take place. Then the second you turn your attention to another project it's a UFO!
    Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Unless you have firmly committed and set it aside for that use, it is stash. But if you are giving yourself space to change your mind and put it back, it's not a UFO yet. This makes being wispy washy into a plus rather than a minus.
    Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM

IMHO there are no rules! What do YOU think it is? I've just written a blog post on my many UFOs and I've made up my own category, USO - UnStartedProject - for the kits etc for which I have pattern and fabric but haven't yet actually started. http://annes-threads.blogspot.co.uk/...-and-usos.html
    Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 AM

"But, that said, my "I've-pulled-fabrics-for-this-project-and-put-it-all-in-one-place" I call PIGS = Projects in grocery sacks. There. They have a name that's between UFOs and stash. LOL!

Jan in VA"

I think uncut is stash! I Love this "PIGS"....made me laugh