Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When you buy fabric!  How much do you buy?  (Enjoy!) >
  • When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

• When you buy fabric! How much do you buy? (Enjoy!)

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 AM

They shop owners always 2 yds and if u can afford it 3-6 yards. I don't always listen to them 1-4 is my range of buying.
    Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
    Power Poster

It depends. I was stash building batiks a while back and was buying half yard and 1 yard cuts. If I see something I like but no project in mind I buy 2 yards. If it is a good deal and neutral or good backing fabric 5 to 7 yards.
    Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 AM

I have a HUGE stash and never mind adding to it. I buy in everything from fats to bolts depending on the price, how well I like it, and what I want to do with it. If I don't know what I want to do with it, I just get 2-3 yds unless the price is really low then I buy as much as I can afford.
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 AM

I buy a lot of remnants or end of bolts, I like to do scrappy and baby quilts, it doesn't take a lot of yardage for these types. I do buy 3-4 yds. for borders.
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 AM

I buy more often than not just because I like something. Sometimes I have a pattern in mind, but not that often. If I love it, I'll buy 3 yards, really like it, 2, like it, 1.
    I do buy precuts because sometimes I just want to get some fabric and like to have all the pieces from a collection right there. :)
    I do shop online a lot and try to hit the sales, but more often than not, what I love isn't on sale. Though sometimes I get lucky!

And I buy it much, much faster than I sew it. I really should rein it in, but you know once it's gone, sometimes it's really hard to find....
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    When you buy fabric how much do you buy?

I was wondering this as when you buy fabric do you have a specific project in mind (of course you buy what calls for on the pattern)

or do you just buy the fabric, because you like it and will use in sometime in the future for projects???

I have been surfing the internet to find answers about this, so I thought I would ask here on the board for our members to answer.

Craftybear
    I use to only buy for planned projects but because I didn't always get to my planned projects (life happens) I have built up a very good stash. Lately I've been refolding my material using foam boards and sorting my stash by colors. In doing that, I found that I don't have that many yellows. I was surprised at all of the green (I must really like green) but I wasn't surprised at my blues and reds. I decided to expand my stash with yellow and decided the 3 yards is about what I'm going to buy, when I'm not buying for a planned project. I picked 3 yards because that should give me enough material for whatever project I decide to use it on without having to go back to the store and trying to match the material. (I usually don't make scrap quilts so I need to have the material match.)

I don't buy fat quarters. I would rather buy from the bolt.
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM
    Pam

I usually do not use others patterns. IF I see a fabric that I like, I try to get 3 yards. It gets washed pressed and goes into the stash. I have lots of med and darks in there and am going to have to start looking for lights.
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 AM

I also try to buy 1 yrd at a time. I used to buy FQs but found they never got used or I had a lot of scrap left from them. I also have to admit that I don't buy the "pre-selected" colors for charm packs, jelly rolls, etc. I began noticing that all the quilt shop's quilts looked the same, and it looked like they all used the same charm packs, jelly rolls, etc. I like to really mix it up so it stands out!
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM

I'm on a fabric "fast" this year, not buying anything except what I need to finish a project I'm working on. However, in recent years when I was buying fabric, I rarely bought for a specific project. I usually bought fabric when I saw something I LOVED at regular price or something I really liked at sale price. I am the 1 yard queen, unless it's a border fabric or something I absolutely love and know I will use as a focus fabric or in more than one quilt. When collecting fabrics of a certain color for a scrappy quilt, I would buy 1/2 yds or even fat quarters. I've never bought the specialty cuts because I do the math and can't bring myself to pay that much. I'd rather cut the squares or strips myself!
    Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    I also have to admit that I don't buy the "pre-selected" colors for charm packs, jelly rolls, etc. I began noticing that all the quilt shop's quilts looked the same, and it looked like they all used the same charm packs, jelly rolls, etc. I like to really mix it up so it stands out!
    Moda is famous for making collections that have the same tones in them. Drives me nuts.