Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • when are you... >
  • when are you...

• when are you...

Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Make some quilts without anyone specifically in mind. Price them. When rude people ask you when you are going to make a quilt for them just say, "I have several that I've made that you're welcome to choose from. The price on them is only to cover the cost of the supplies---there's no way I'd charge such a good friend for my time and labor."
    Of course the cost of supplies would, at least in part, include the cost of expertise. You have to add in some for the wear and tear to your machine and your body.
    Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM

Oh how I feel your frustration. I am the oldest of six children, and I have made quilts for my two sisters and a niece. That was last year for Christmas.

There are some "issues" in my family where some of my sibs have not spoken to me for the several months. Yet, one of my sisters told me I should make a quilt for my brothers. What? I love all of my siblings dearly and I am sorry they do not want to speak to me, it is just not in my heart to make them a quilt.

I want to add that I have made several attempts to speak with them, they don't return my emails or phone calls. :(

:(
    JulieM
    Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

And some people are just plain dumb foolish rude or stupid.
    Or ALL of the above!
    Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 AM

I just tell them when they come up with the money for the material!

My pet peeve in this area is when you are invited to all of the baby showers of everybody that you might have said, "hi" to and they think it would be, "just marvelous" if the baby had "one of your quilts"........

I guess I am not nice, but I do not RSVP and I don't go....
    Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 AM
    Banned

Happens to me all the time. And people will say,"how much is a quilt?" Thats like asking "how much is a car"...sheesh,do you want a Honda or a Cadillac? Sometimes people think all my table toppers should be the same price.Some are bigger,some are small,some take more work than others....and the one that gets me most is "oh, I can get a quilt on QVC for $40!!" Go for it! They are poorly made,slave labor ,and the hand quilting stitches are up to half an inch long!
    Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 AM

I make quilts/craft projects for relatives and they know that I choose the project 90% of the time. I do this for gifting and the love of making it for that person. I think they know that something will come their way in time because they do not ask me to make anything. I will get their input as to theme/color and that is the extent of it. They get what they end up with and are happy. They know how much time is involved and they don't commission projects for their friends either. I would be happy to do projects for others outside the family if I were asked and if the price was right. It can be quite costly/time consuming. I think the pre-invoice hand out is a great idea. People need to know exactly what goes into quilting. They may appreciate the finished product more if they know! :)
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I would tell them that I would gladly teach them how to make their own. Take them so that they can choose and buy their fabric, teach them about contrast and complement, show them how to cut it out and sew it together....maybe do a sampler. Take them all the way through. And, if you're feeling sorry enough for them at the end and there's no way they are going to be able to quilt it, you could do that step. I guarantee that most of them will back out of wanting a quilt, and you just might get a new quilting buddy out of one of the others. After all give a man a quilt and he stays warm, teach one to quilt and they are busy and happy and support their wife's hobbies forever. :)
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ann clare
    I smile and say "will add you to my list" Works every time.
    That's perfect, Ann Clare! I think people just don't have any idea about what it takes to make a quilt (or knit a sweater, whatever). I choose to be vague and say something like "I certainly hope I can get to all the quilts/projects I'd like to make some day! I have quite a list!" Fortunately, my family and friends are not pushy.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 AM

I love the 'I will add you to my list' reply! I will have to remember that. I make quilts because I want to...and often I am the one that offers. The one time that i was really upset, was a lady I had offered a baby quilt to. She requested black and green (yes...for a baby quilt.) I made it for her...someone told me the wrong spelling for the baby's name. I told her that I would make a new label and would replace it while she waited, so she would not have to come back. she said 'ok'. I never heard thank you, my mom loves it, I use it all the time...NADA. Two yrs later, she informs me that she is pregnant again and am I going to make her another quilt. I'm not usually without words..but this time I was speechless. I told her I had a long waiting list and left it at that. All I really wanted to know was if she LIKED it..or USED it..or WHATEVER...I'm convinced she is clueless...
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Just cheerfully tell them that you'll make the quilt as soon as they provide you with the fabric, batting, thread and don't forget to add what you would charge for your time and labor, (at least 2 to 3 times the amount it would cost for the supplies) up front of course. See how soon they ask again. :thumbup: