Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • when are you... >
  • when are you...

• when are you...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
    Truthfully I think its a compliment but,,,,,
    I would say something like "I will make you a quilt but are you willing to buy the material and pay for the labor?" Then go on and explain the cost of everything.
    I agree here - it could be their way of saying they really like it and wouldn't mind having it in their home - it shows honest to goodness interest in what you've done. Have you ever heard anyone telling someone their handmade item was ugly? I haven't, usually they say Oh how pretty and you hear nothing else. I've always taken it as a compliment. How about answering with something like "Thank you! I would love to make one for you but unfortunately quilting is an EXPENSIVE hobby and I already have so many relatives I'm wanting to make quilts for". If they keep asking start talking money.
    Rude people would be telling you what's wrong with your quilt (unless they're judging it for a show).
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM

You are not being selfish. I agree that non-crafty people have no idea the expense or time involved in projecting. My friend made her mom a quilt and she turned around and used it for her dogs (don't get me wrong, I love my puppies and would do anything for them, but this was a really nice quilt). i've been asked to make quilts for people as well. I generally will say if they want to supply the materials I can work on one for them with time permitting due to my other activities. With that said, I have only made one quilt for any of my friends (other than giving them as gifts).
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Next time they ask when they get one, tell them they will get a quilt when they pay you for the materials and your time. :-D If they agree, then tell them how much money it will probably cost. That should stop them dead in their tracks!! :lol: If they still want a quilt and are willing to pay for it, do it if you have the time. After all you can always use the money to increase your stash!!! :thumbup:
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM
    Power Poster

I don't make quilts for anyone but people I love and WANT to make one for. Otherwise it's work to me. Absolutely no guilt.
    No anger. No frustration.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 AM

I would write up a list of things used to make a quilt in..size.

Then an average price for each item..$9.00 to...fabric per yd
    batting, thread, any other items

charges for each hour

put it someplace where you work, or send it in an email to this boy
    I think it is nice that people compliment my quilts, but, to make them for free... no way
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM

When someone asks, I just say, "I don't have time."
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Take him shopping, let him pick out the fabrics & the pattern & then pay for it. Then keep track of your hours, & trade your hours quilting for an equal number of hours of work from him. You could give him an estimate of the number of hours to expect; that might change his mind. I would love to have a worker around here! It is a compliment though, if someone likes your work.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Where is it written that you're obligated to make a quilt for someone? Are they entitled to your time? Life is too short. When I'm asked, I say that I don't have time to make myself a quilt which, by the way, isn't far from the truth. No guilt here.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM

I had a workman at my houseo once and he asked "what would it take for you to make me something like that" to which I replied "you have to be a really close blood relative to get a quilt from me". He just laughed. That's just about how I feel though.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM

I"m making a lap quilt for my sister to donate to her lodge's charity auction. She's paid, over paid for the materials for it, but when she visited over TG she was horrified to see how much labor went into it when I spent an hour here and there sewing and cutting. She wanted to actually pay me more because of the labor! No other sister of mine or their kids would do that much..probably why they never will get one.