Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • when are you... >
  • when are you...

• when are you...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
    going to make quilt for me? I just hate it when people ask me this. I mean if my kids ask it is one thing - but when their friends keep bugging me it drives me crazy and really, really irritates me. It is not that they are saying "make me one and I'll pay for the fabric etc" - they mean "when do I get one?" I don't think they really realize the amount of $ and time that goes into a quilt. I mean, after all, wouldn't it be like me asking someone that has a painting business to come over and paint my house/walls as a free favor?
    A friend of my daughters has been bugging me forever to make him a quilt. He sent me a text to day and in it mentioned whether or not I have made him a quilt yet. I guess I wasn't in a very good mood, plus was in the middle of trying to FMQ so my text back to him was that I don't make quilts for people that ask. It is just sometimes that I don't feel that non-quilters/sewers really appreciate the amount of work that goes into projects, plus the $.

so do you think I am being selfish or whatever with this attitude? what do all of you guys say when someone asks you?
    You could respond, "there are classes at the LQS and you could learn to make your own, and then you would have a personal treasure"
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

When I get the tired old question of when do I get a quilt, I get all excited and happy and say call me later and I'll give you the number of a friend who makes quilts for a living. She needs the business so I would rather her make it for you. It will help her out so much right now and this will be perfect, she gets some much needed money and you get a quilt. I'll tell her to be expecting you to call.
    Not one person has asked for the number and hasn't asked me again about getting a quilt. If someone does ask I'll give them the name of a LA in the next town who has nice simple ready made utility quilts to sell.
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM

My daughter,when she say's do me a favor look out.Make me this make me that,make,make,make.It's getting old.
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ann clare
    I smile and say "will add you to my list" Works every time.
    I add "right now the backlog is at LEAST 2 years." Delivered with a smile!
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM

No you are being honest!
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

My students ( and I'm sorry to say some of my colleaques) ask this when they see things I have made. My response is a simple -- no, I will not make you one but I will be happy to teach you how to make your own. Had a few , very few, take me up on that offer but mostly that puts an end to it.
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
    Banned

an acquaintance ask me "when are you going to make me an obmre quilt" Well, I had no interest in makeing a quilt for the person but I had some ombre fabric and thought I might chop it up and ut it in a log cabine type quilt. The person then referred me to a web site of the type she wanted.
    I looked and it was a Ricky Tims machine applique design.
    I just keep saying, "I don't make that type of design". I put my ombre fabric back on the shelf.
    The former First Lady told us to "just say no".
    Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Originally Posted by ann clare
    I smile and say "will add you to my list" Works every time.
    I add "right now the backlog is at LEAST 2 years." Delivered with a smile!
    love that!
    Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM

I often make purses as gifts for my family and close friends. People I barley know will see one them and all of a sudden want to be my best friend and ask if I will make one for them. My thought is that if they are bold enough to ask, it's OK to nicely say I will be glad to for ..... and quote a a price. This usually nicely ends the conversation, however, I have had some takers and the extra money has been nice.
    Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

You can calculate out a simple 6" squares quilt -- figure it for different sizes......have it ready. When they ask say " A queen size simple quilt would be $$$$? and give them the dollar amounts for all sizes (or the size they request). That'll usually stop the requests...LOL Oh -- and telling them you're going to be doing it for a business stops the requests, too.