Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • when are you... >
  • when are you...

• when are you...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
    .and the one that gets me most is "oh, I can get a quilt on QVC for $40!!" Go for it! They are poorly made,slave labor ,and the hand quilting stitches are up to half an inch long!
    AND they fall apart the first time they are go through the wash or even if you just sit on them a lot because there is about 1/16" seam allowance, so no chance to even repair the fabric that is so loosely woven you can see the individual threads.

Can you tell I've bought a $20 quilt before? :)
    Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 AM

Here's one better; I have an aquaintence that said, ( out of the blue) ' When you make my quilt, don't make it so quilty, I don't like the looks of a quilt; you know what colors I like in my bedroom'. ( I was in her bedroon once, in the dark, to put my coat on the bed) That was 5 years ago In the 10 years I've known her I have never mentioned making a quilt for her.... I think all quilters get this... people think it's like making a batch of cookies or something..
    Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM

I SAY....YOU BUY THE FABRIC AND WHEN I HAVE TIME I WILL.........SHOW.........YOU HOW TO MAKE IT ....THEN YOU CAN TAKE IT HOME AND MAKE IT.
    Old 12-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Make some quilts without anyone specifically in mind. Price them. When rude people ask you when you are going to make a quilt for them just say, "I have several that I've made that you're welcome to choose from. The price on them is only to cover the cost of the supplies---there's no way I'd charge such a good friend for my time and labor."
    Of course the cost of supplies would, at least in part, include the cost of expertise. You have to add in some for the wear and tear to your machine and your body.
    I love this idea!!! that's perfect. I'm going to start doing this! thank you!
    Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM

One of my nephew's co-workers wanted to buy a quilt from me and when I quoted the $650 price tag, she said no thanks, I can buy one at Wal-mart for $30. I was so relieved! She wanted greens and browns in her quilt. UGH!
    Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM

oh KIDS.. even if they are not really kids anymore.. but still young enough to keep bugging you.. EVERYONE loves to snuggle in a nice comfy quilt.. They don't have a clue what they are asking.. But they do know it would be wonderful to have one. So they ask and ask.. I think I'd tell the ones that keep asking that I'd help them make one if they really really want one that bad. Then choose a very simple pattern of squares and show 'em how it's done.
    Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM

I had one person at work ask me to make her a quilt. I made one block up to see how long it would take me, multiplied it out by the number of blocks and told her $400 plus the price of the fabric. She came back and said her sister-in-law was going to make her a quilt. I doubt that she ever got it... I think she thought I was going to make it for free. LOL :-) :-) :-)
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM

This is great idea!!! I started quilting because a friend makes them...and we went shopping, sewed together and I got hooked...and I am amazed on how much work goes into quilting!
    Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    I would tell them that I would gladly teach them how to make their own. Take them so that they can choose and buy their fabric, teach them about contrast and complement, show them how to cut it out and sew it together....maybe do a sampler. Take them all the way through. And, if you're feeling sorry enough for them at the end and there's no way they are going to be able to quilt it, you could do that step. I guarantee that most of them will back out of wanting a quilt, and you just might get a new quilting buddy out of one of the others. After all give a man a quilt and he stays warm, teach one to quilt and they are busy and happy and support their wife's hobbies forever. :)
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 PM

I Agree with you .
    Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM

I am in this same situation. I recently made a quilt for my cousin that she had commissioned me to do and paid me very well for it.
    Since then my niece keeps asking me when I am going to make her a quilt? I told her the cousin had paid me very well for the quilt I made her, but my niece comes back with - but I thought I was your favorite niece. She keeps asking and I just kinda ignore the question because I simply can't afford to make her one at my expense but she won't accept that as my answer.