Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When you travel do you go to quilt shops? >
  • When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

• When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 AM

This has quickly become my favorite part of travelling.....exploring new shops.
    Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Arizona Sunrises
    I'm doing exactly that this weekend in CA!!
    NOt sure where in Ca but if you in temecula ( s Ca ) must stop at quilters coop
    Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 AM

That cruise will bring you into Bar Harbor! I live there! Look up Bartsch in the phone book if you want to call me. There is a shop right in town by the Post Office that you can walk to from the dock. It is called Fabricate. Sweet little shop that opened a year ago. There is also another little shop called Sewing By The Sea for which you will need a car. It is 15 minutes away.
    Also there is a Quilt Shop Hop going on. AT the first shop you go to, you will get a Passport to be signed in each shop you go to in Maine. You won't be here long enough to do much, but it would be a nice souvenir to pick up from Fabricate. If you are not going to be here before the end of April, just go online to www.maineshophop.com. You can get info there and a list of shops in Maine that are participants.
    There is a WONDERFUL shop in Freeport, ME. It is called Cottonweeds Quilt Shop. Type in www.cottonweeds.com to see it. The site does not have a lot but you will get an idea of what the shop looks like. If you sign up for their newsletter, you will get a whole bunch of good stuff in it. Freeport, ME is about 3 hours south of Bar Harbor. It is famous for all the great outlets like LLBean, Ralph Lauren, Polo etc etc etc.
    I hope all this info helps.
    Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I always check out the quilt shops when we travel. This new thing with charging extra for luggage when flying may cause me to modify my habits. I guess I will just have to find shops that will ship my purchases for me. My husband just booked a cruise to New England and the islands off the east coast of Canada. I will need to do my research on shops in that vicinity.
    Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 AM

I don't travel much beyond grandbaby's place anymore..once a month ;)> but yep i sure do frequent Bearly quilting in sonora !!
    Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 AM

Then you can make an "Ugly Quilt" just for him. LOL
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Don't your hubbies figit and complain when you explore quilt/fabric shops?
    Actually if mine goes he searches for the ugliest fabric in the store and makes me buy a yard of it for making him go.
    Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 AM

leaving for a cruise to the Carribean on Sunday. Am anxious to see IF I can locate some quilt shops on our excursions! I see big, bold prints - OBW anyone? My hubby takes a book and stays in the car. He is happy and doesn't complain! Will keep him. See ya in 2 weeks..... Happy Quilting....
    Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    My DH and I even scoped out the quilt and fabric shops when we went on our 16 day Alaskan cruise. Checked every stop we made. Only found two and they didn't have very much fabric of any kind. Too expensive to ship up there.

On our cruise to Hawaii, I really lucked out. Went to several quilt shops but they were just like here in FL. Most were in malls and big shopping centers.
    the tours to Alaska reach only the smaller towns and it's true, most of them don't have quilt shops. There are some amazing shops in Anchorage and the SouthCentral part of Alaska, including Homer, Soldotna, Kenai Wasilla and Palmer.

...a friend and I are starting a business for providing day trip shop hops for travelers out of Anchorage...amazing how many travelers have to spend a day in a hotel and don't get a chance to help the local economy!
    ...take a post office flat rate shipping box with you when shopping..it's amazing how much one can hold and you don't have to pay for an extra suitcase, and receiving it at home is like Christmas! Most shops will deliver it to the post office for you as long as you pay them the postage.
    ...side benefit of planning to visit quilt shops is that it takes you off the main highway and you see more beautiful scenery than if you just whizzed thru town.
    Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Oh yes good excuse to travel ha ha just have too check those shops out. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM

No when I travel it is with DH...he doesn't stop for nothing! Or my sister-in-law who is just as bad..runs in their family I guess!!
    Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Is the sky blue? Most definitely---my hubby is job hunting and when he has interviews in a city, that is the first thing I look up.