Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When you use white background what kind of material do you use? >
  • When you use white background what kind of material do you use?

• When you use white background what kind of material do you use?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM

i prefer kona but have been known to use muslin also !
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 AM

For crib quilts I use Kona white fabric.
    Otherwise I use the white on white, but seldom use the real white, usually going more toward the cream. I don't like the stark white on a scrap quilt. Never use muslin because the weave is usually too loose and rather thin for piecing.
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM

something to think about. i did use sheets for my dgd's quilt because i needed fuschia fabric but would have never thought of this for my other quilts.

i have used muslin, white on white cotton & kona solids. i haven't tried kona muslin yet.

Originally Posted by hazeljane
    I really love the bamboo/cotton muslin I bought in Joann's last year. Enough so that I went and bought a second bolt.

Otherwise, I use high quality white sheets- thread count about 250. I know that many don't like to use sheets, but I buy sheets and sheet sets in Ross or TJMaxx and don't care if they are irregular. The first thing I do is rip off the elastic on the fitted, and tear it into rectangles more easily used.

I often use the fitted sheet (of any color) as the sashing in a quilt, then I use the flat sheet for a backing, and give the quilt with the pillowcases, which match exactly.
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM

I love white on white
    Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 AM

I use Kona or White on White.
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:19 AM

I really love the bamboo/cotton muslin I bought in Joann's last year. Enough so that I went and bought a second bolt.

Otherwise, I use high quality white sheets- thread count about 250. I know that many don't like to use sheets, but I buy sheets and sheet sets in Ross or TJMaxx and don't care if they are irregular. The first thing I do is rip off the elastic on the fitted, and tear it into rectangles more easily used.

I often use the fitted sheet (of any color) as the sashing in a quilt, then I use the flat sheet for a backing, and give the quilt with the pillowcases, which match exactly.
    Maggie, I'm with you! Purchasing the sets at discount prices really makes my dollar travel. I often sew a block of the quilt pattern onto each of the pillows as well.
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I only used kona once and it frays way to much for me, but on the upside it does have a nice weight and feel. I prefer a heavy muslin(Legacy) or a white on white print.
    Agreed. Kona is too stringy and flimsy for me. Moda isn't as thin but it, too, is horrible for fraying.

Sturdy muslin here!
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM

What a great idea! froggyintexas
    Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM

I like the Moda Bella line. It has white, snow, and lots of other solid colors. Gorgeous fabric. A little softer than Kona. So maybe use Bella for quilts you're going to cuddle in and Kona for smaller wall hangings.
    Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM

It generally depends on the project, but I have found that the quality for eqyptian cotton and available in white, is superior, and it really stands up with a good thread count, soft and nice to sew with. White looks very crisp and clean.