Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

• When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
    Have the same thing with my youngest son, only he still in engineering school, one year to go, so I tell him when he gets his degree he can change my ideas to make them "better." LOL
    My youngest son has his engineering degree.....and drives his wife and my husband to the point of insanity. Generally while he's "thinking" and "engineering" I'm getting the work done. Of course, he says my way is the hard way, but I respond, "but my way is finished."
    Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM

It's so funny to hear all the stories. As I mentioned before, I am married to an engineer and it is so true that they analyze everything. When we go out with our friends, the gals are ready to go and the engineer guys are still yapping. Funny!!!
    Old 05-20-2011, 11:41 AM

LOL.. He is trying so hard to help you. Good luck. Hang in there you will get what you need at least.
    Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I too am married to an engineer (and for over 40 years) but there is one thing worse, he is now retired and the over-engineering comments are even worse than they were when he was full-time employed. I agree with you. I got these same comments about the ironing board.

It will be too heavy.
    It will be too wobbly.
    It will soak up steam and starch and the ply will separate.

And the most frustrating thing about all this is HE WAS RIGHT! Gr-r-r. A fellow quilter's fishing hubby made one for her so I had them make one for me. Sure enough, it is heavy for me to move (I put things away frequently); it also broke my old supporting ironing board and when I reached over to the far edge, it was wobbly.

So DH bought me a new ironing board and I have not changed a thing since.....other than I put the iron on the pointed end and press on the wide end. lol Hope I gave you more laughs on the subject.

.......PS: Oh, don't tell anyone but the iron fell off the pointed end once; I got a new iron. lol
    Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM

All thumbs,
    I have been a homemaker for many, many years. I have always said that when my husband retires I will be getting a full time job. I think I've got about 10 years to go!
    Pam H
    Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
    All thumbs,
    I have been a homemaker for many, many years. I have always said that when my husband retires I will be getting a full time job. I think I've got about 10 years to go!
    Pam H
    my dgm always said when dgf retired "twice as much husband & half as much money is not always a good thing"
    Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM

My husband isn't an engineer by trade but he does the same thing...
    I look at book shelves that are two vertical board with x-number of horizontal shelves with a back... nope can't do it that way... have to have notched slots for the shelves to slide into etc....
    and if I "force" him to do it...he only half ass does it...to prove that my idea was flawed... grrrrr
    Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 PM

I'm married to an engineer too but I have mine trained. Wasn't easy either!

I have to draw him a picture and say this is what I want! Nothing more, nothing less!.....Don't even think about it! It is easy, it is inexpensive and that's what I want. It's the inexpensive part that always works. He goes to his man cave and comes back up later with whatever it is that I wanted all made!

He made a top to put over my old ironing board that we bolted on from the bottom. If I ever need it to go back to a regular ironing board, I can easily do that. Works out beautifully.
    Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM

I just made some more. I used a piece of plywood and stapled an industrial strength garbage bag on first wrapping it around the board on the rough side. I then stapled a piece of batting around and then a piece of canvas. I try to make them tight. The canvas will looked like it has wrinkles in it. Then I take a spray bottle and spray it several times until it shrinks and is tight. It takes about 20 minutes to make one and my husband does the stapling for me. I put it on my cutting table and then put my cutting mat on one end unless I am ironing a large piece of fabric. Then I take the cutting mat off. I also made two a smaller ones for classes and one for my niece and sister. I also made a cover bag out of muslin so I don't ruin the canvas with scorching or ironing with starch. I have been using one for about 3 years. The new one is for our vacation home in NC. Just get it all ready and then call the husband. Home Depot will cut the wood. I leave the smooth edge out so I don't get splinters. Hope this helps.
    Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM

This entire Thread has had me ROFL.... It's amazing how much laughter rejuvenates and inspires us. Thank you Quilters everywhere.