Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board >
  • When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

• When your married to an engineer there is no such thing as a "simple request" to make a big board ironing board

Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Boy, do I know what you are going through! I have been married to an engineer for 32 years.
    I bought a great ironing board at Walmart. It was $39

Wow, Annaquilts! I just looked at your link and I want one of those!
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Oh my gosh...that's my life too with my engineer husband!!! It makes me so crazy and there is always something wrong with what I want to do.

Years ago when we first got married I asked him to put me a wall phone on the wall with the pantry. He looked at the wall, tapped on it, surveyed it some more and said "well, I'll have to find the wall drop the phone line through and make a hole in the wall".

I looked at it and said "or you could just drop it in the pantry and punch it through from there"

He said "yeah, that would work too".

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Engineers are a breed unto their own. I had a friend on line and whenever I would mention something I was planning whether it was a gate or a table whatever that needed to be designed and built was always something he would "ponder" for a couple weeks. Meantime it was already designed in my head and I would have it done by time he came up with his final design. The nice thing was he lived on west coast and I lived on east coast so he never knew I usually used my own plan, you know the SIMPLE one LOL. Good for you having the patience to live with one. Take care.
    Linda
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Being married to an engineer is trying sometimes.
    Is that what my DH is saying? HA!! Being married to HIM is ...oh never mind
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 AM

DogHouseMom...
    I feel your pain!!! However, my husband isn't even close to being an engineer, just a plain old retired fart, and I either get 5 million questions, or the blank "deer in the headlights" look. I've come to the conclusion that I'll just do the "whatever it is" myself and if I do need his help, I'll make sure I'm to a point of no turning back, before I ask. Fortunately, I know where all his tools are and I know how to use them...I usually only need his for the physical labor aspect.
    Just keep the positive attitude, as they (husbands) do tend to grate on the nerves every now and again!
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Go to Home Depot and they can cut a piece of plywood for you. Wrap it in insulbright put a piece of pretty fabric over it and call it good. Do it before your husband has the chance to make you something you will hate.

I know what you mean by engineers over engineering things. I work in a company full of engineers. They over analyse, over engineer and litterally drive you nuts. They are brilliant but can be a PITA.
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Our son is an engineer and oh my gosh.......I feel your pain if you want to call it that :!: :roll:
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM

I work with about 30 engineers so I totally feel your pain! I've learned never to ask them a question unless I have about an hour of free time to hear all the pros can cons of their answer. Ask them the time of day, and they'll tell you how to build a clock!
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 AM

My hubby will listen to my request, then do it his way. Most times it won't work, like I planned. Then I have to figure out how to make it work for me. I have even tried "just do this, don't improve" I will say he tries to do all I ask for. Bless him.
    Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM

You can have a piece cut exactly as you wish at most stores such as Lowes, Home Depot, et. He is not going to change so just have it done and move on to your ironing. :P