Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >
  • Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

• Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Tradition is alive in the farming community where I attended a quilt show today. 124 quilts and just one 'art' quilt. 124 quilts and all were gorgeous with great workmanship except one. I was absolutely in awe of many of them. The only thing that I would change is the heavy machine quilting. I like my quilts cuddlier than some of the overquilted ones were. This is, of course, just my opinion and certainly is not meant as a criticism of anyone's style of quilting.

It was an experience seeing that much beauty in one place. I know 124 isn't many, but it's more than enough for my brain to assimilate in one day. I may have to go back tomorrow. The colors were just so awesome.

A SM /saleman/repairman was there with a lot of pretty black Singers from another era. I was surprised at the prices they bring. He also had a White for $60 like my mother's pride and joy. I asked him if it worked. He said he thought so, but hadn't looked at it much. Wouldn't you think a SM repairman and saleman would know more about his product, even if it's not a Singer? It was strange standing next to my grandmother's sewing machine (a Singer) looking at my mother's.
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    I agree and when I see paint on a quilt I just cringe...I love the pieced, applique quilts but even at our guild I see ladies putting as much applique on a quilt that they can squeeze in LOL, don't know what to look at first
    I just took a class to learn fabric painting. I needed 12 shades of gray for my avatar and ended up painting them Then I needed a sky so I learned to paint that. Now I'm painting pink elephants and they seem to be coming out OK. I will throw them in the washer and dryer when the quilt is finished to see if they survive. I like trying new things, I never know how they might turn out.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-125096.jpe   attachment-125097.jpe   attachment-125098.jpe  
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25
    Originally Posted by teresa crawford
    i am finding so many ladies of our guild that want to learn how too hand quilt, but there isn't any one to teach us how..mother teresa
    What a pity I might live a half world away from you teresa, I would love to teach you how to hand quilt.
    So would I >>>>.
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Love the Elephants !!!!!
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    I'm noticing that alot of the quilts are machine quilted now. I'm a traditionalist, i hand quilt, nothings wrong with machine quilting, but i think that in it's owne right, there should be seperate catagories. A lot of wor goes into machine/hand quilting, both different types of looks, and both need to be addressed seperately.
    I agree !!! But how to get it done/??????
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM

I really like all kinds of quilts. I go to big shows (Road to CA and International Quilt Festival, Long Beach) and small guild shows. To tell you the truth, I don't know if I see more of one kind than the other. I just see quilts I like or don't care for and they can be all kinds. I enjoy the workmanship no matter what. I don't paint on my quilts, but have friends that do. I like mine as well as theirs. I have always loved to sew (by hand or machine) and still do. I make a variety of kinds of quilts.
    Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM
    Banned

Those pink elephants are too cute.

Dana
    Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 AM

The only reason I want to enter a show, is for the joy of seeing my quilt hanging there with the other great pieces. I don't really care if I win or not, just the fact that I have my quilt there among great quilters.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by applique
    I agree and when I see paint on a quilt I just cringe...I love the pieced, applique quilts but even at our guild I see ladies putting as much applique on a quilt that they can squeeze in LOL, don't know what to look at first
    I just took a class to learn fabric painting. I needed 12 shades of gray for my avatar and ended up painting them Then I needed a sky so I learned to paint that. Now I'm painting pink elephants and they seem to be coming out OK. I will throw them in the washer and dryer when the quilt is finished to see if they survive. I like trying new things, I never know how they might turn out.

I love your painted fabric elephants, they will be beautiful on a quilt. You look like you are a talented artist.
    Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2
    Originally Posted by applique

I love your painted fabric elephants, they will be beautiful on a quilt. You look like you are a talented artist.
    They are a pattern, Elepinks. I traced the markings onto the appliqued pieces then just paint the lines a blend wherever it looks good! There are 16 pink elephants!