Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Where is your workspace? >
  • Where is your workspace?

• Where is your workspace?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 AM

My quilting space use to be the dining room table, then 2 years ago when we moved we set it up in half of the basement. But, quite often I still bring my sewing machine up to the dining room table (habit I guess). This last Spring my hubby bought me a long arm and since have put in a fabric bookshelf. I use the pool table I made in high school as a cutting table (the perfect hieght), one desk for a sewing table and a white table that holds the serger and misc. items, then have a small wall table that holds rulers, and notions and threads for the long arm. My husband has gotten a set of lights to put up that will lite up over the long arm and sewing machine, but needs to do some more wiring for them. This winter when things are slow we hope to get that done, as well as hanging the design wall, and putting up holders for the rolls of batting.
    The only thing that I would change is to take out the carpet(though my toesy's stay warm in the winter) and use thro rugs where needed.
    Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 AM

A few yrs. ago we added on to our ranch home. With 3 daughters and 2 of them married, we needed a bigger dining area. So DH said I can have a bigger dining area but we are also going to add a full room to the basement as well. I said that was fine because that will be MY room. That is now my sewing and basket weaving room. It is 16x24. Love it.
    Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 AM

My craft room/office is a 12 by 17 room that I share with my washer and dryer, furnace, water heater and water softener. I do have a closet which is crammed full, also a bookshelf full of quilting and genealogy books. I do my cutting on my dining room table. I am thankful to have my room, because I remember the time I had to use my kitchen table to sew and had to put everything away when it was time to feed my four children.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 AM

I have a separate building that will eventually be my office/workshop. There will be a small kitchen for making soaps, candles, and cheese, as well as snacks or light lunches.

My plans include a walk-in closet for fabric and other craft storage. A futon for relaxation and an impromptu nap. The office part will not require much space since I use a laptop. Hopefully, it will be solar/propane powered so I can still function during power outages. Also have plans to add a studio in the near future.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 AM

I started out with my own room when we built the house. DH took half of it for CB radio. As sons moved out, I took over their bedrooms. Now I live alone and I have taken the Florida/rec room which is 15 ft. x 25 ft. I just close the door. I am in sewing heaven. I have my TV, phone extension, terrazzo floor for easy cleanup and big windows for light.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 AM

On the second floor of our house there's a 9x12 room off our bedroom that has windows on two walls that I now use as my sewing/quilting room. In our old house, I only had a corner of our bedroom to sew, and I had to pack everything up when I was finished for the day and lug it all back up to the attic. Sure lugging all the boxes of fabric, etc. up to the attic kept me in shape, but I sure don't miss it! I think about how much I love having my own sewing room every time I'm quilting and look across the CT river at the Green Mountains of Vermont.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 AM

I turned a small bedroom into my sewing room.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 AM

I finally moved my older son to the basement becasue I couldn't stand sewing in the "dungeon" any more. So I have a dedicated room. He is in the process of buying a house that has a perfect room for a longarm! :)
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
    mione is a corner in my bedroom - I do have a huge bathroom and the ironing board is on one side. It works
    mine is too, steelecg. It's cozy, but I like sewing on the main floor. I had a small windowless room in our basement-level den as my sewing room for a few years! It finally got to me. When my husband moved some of his work things in there, I knew it was time for me to make a different plan. I like being in the bedroom, and try hard to keep it all as neat as possible. I always have the option of the rest of the house when I need to spread out.
    Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 AM

I sew in the corner of our sunroom. What used to be my sewing room now is the workroom for the longarm. All that fits in there is the machine and my stash.

I am a messy sewer. Is everyone neat? My sewing table is piled high with all my current projects.