Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who can tell me about "polished cotton"? >
  • Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

• Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM

I have used solid polished cotton in quilts a lot. I like how the quilting pattern, really stands out on it. I think it is the "polish" that changes the way the light hits it so the quilting is highlighted. I have a stash of Chintz patterned polished cotton that I scored several years ago and boy does it make up nice for home dec and table wear.It also works out well for quilts but as it is a heavier weight I mix it in with quilting cottons judiciously. Try looking at home dec fabrics for some chintzy polished cottons.
    Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 AM

I have used polished upholstery cotton quite a bit for quilt backs.
    As long as it is 100% cotton. After washing the "polished" finish is gone and what is left is a soft chamois-type surface.
    I find that this fabric is sturdier and wears much better for functional backs that will be used on beds.
    Another nice thing is that it wider than the average quilt cotton.
    Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I remember when I was a kid (oops!) my Mom always made both of us shirt-waist dresses and skirts out of polished cotton. I always liked it because it looked so fresh!

Marysewfun
    Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 AM

I remember when I was a kid (oops!) my Mom always made both of us shirt-waist dresses and skirts out of polished cotton. I always liked it because it looked so fresh!

Marysewfun
    Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Polished cotton is what I made my very first full gathered skirt out of wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in... many, many long years agooooooooooo... :-D
    Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard
    I noticed I am getting quite a stash of polished cotton and I really don't know how it fits into the world of quilts. Is it used the same as other cottons? Would I mix and mingle or use all polished cotton in one quilt? Is it not for quilting at all?
    I'd appreciate all the information I can get before I start using it. I have some really pretty fabrics in florals and stripes but I am just not sure how to use them.
    I made an Attic window quilt,a very large one. All the Blocks are polished cotton.. I knew it would loose it sheen so I haven't washed it yet. Only use it in guest room and put it away when I get company so it doesn't get soiled.. Colors so Bright.. Here is the link
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23156-1.htm
    Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    I made an Attic window quilt,a very large one. All the Blocks are polished cotton.. I knew it would loose it sheen so I haven't washed it yet. Only use it in guest room and put it away when I get company so it doesn't get soiled.. Colors so Bright.. Here is the link
    [url=http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23156-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23156-1.htm[/url]
    Wow is that something!! I can't imagine tackling an attic window that big. Great job matching all your corners and doing your angles.
    Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Thank you for all the input, I now will happily use my lovely chintz polished cotton to make my quilts.
    where did you find polished cotton? I have been looking for some for over a year, want some white on white, (off white really) for a Jenny Haskin quilt and can't find any.
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird
    Thank you for all the input, I now will happily use my lovely chintz polished cotton to make my quilts.
    where did you find polished cotton? I have been looking for some for over a year, want some white on white, (off white really) for a Jenny Haskin quilt and can't find any.
    Well, I've picked it up at thrift stores, yard sales, my sister sent me some from CA, I took apart some curtains made with it, that kind of thing. I don't have any of what you are looking for or I'd be happy to share with you. Sorry.
    Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM

The only real difference in regular cotton and polished cotton is the weave is much tighter, and smoother, so it might be a pain to hand quilt through. I have seen many quilts using polished cotton mixed with regular.I don't remember ever seeing a hand quilted one though, except for some done early last century. That being said, it's your fabric, use it however you like. It could be really pretty, as an accent on a peacock for example.