Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who can tell me about "polished cotton"? >
  • Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

• Who can tell me about "polished cotton"?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM

i love polished cotton never had a problem hand quilting it
    Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Last weekend I bought a big stack of it at a garage sale and it is all coordinating polka dots. Each piece was 36x36 and I got it for .20 a piece. I will have enough to make a quilt top from all of the different colors and won't have to mix it with my regular cottons.
    Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird
    Originally Posted by wildyard
    Thank you for all the input, I now will happily use my lovely chintz polished cotton to make my quilts.
    where did you find polished cotton? I have been looking for some for over a year, want some white on white, (off white really) for a Jenny Haskin quilt and can't find any.
    Not sure you will, because white on white printed cotton is a different process than polished cotton.
    But you will find white or cream plain polished cotton.
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    I made an Attic window quilt,a very large one. All the Blocks are polished cotton.. I knew it would loose it sheen so I haven't washed it yet. Only use it in guest room and put it away when I get company so it doesn't get soiled.. Colors so Bright.. Here is the link
    [url=http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23156-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23156-1.htm[/url]
    Wow is that something!! I can't imagine tackling an attic window that big. Great job matching all your corners and doing your angles.
    Thank You..Quilting it on my domestic Kenmore was a battle,because of it size and I used High loft Poly..I wanted the soft puffy look instead of the flat look. I think it turned out pretty good..I was scared to do mitered corners until I tackle this quilt now I have no problem mitering corners. :-D
    Bill'sBonBon
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM

I made an Attic window quilt,a very large one. All the Blocks are polished cotton.. I knew it would loose it sheen so I haven't washed it yet. Only use it in guest room and put it away when I get company so it doesn't get soiled.. Colors so Bright.. Here is the link
    Wow is that something!! I can't imagine tackling an attic window that big. Great job matching all your corners and doing your angles.
    Thank You..Quilting it on my domestic Kenmore was a battle,because of it size and I used High loft Poly..I wanted the soft puffy look instead of the flat look. I think it turned out pretty good..I was scared to do mitered corners until I tackle this quilt now I have no problem mitering corners. :-D

Do you always put the dark on the right hand side on an attic window, or does it matter? Bill'sBonBon
    Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Qbird

Do you always put the dark on the right hand side on an attic window, or does it matter? Bill'sBonBon
    It doesn't matter. Personal perference.. top, bottom or sides whatever you like best.. Bill'sBonBon
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissorman
    Polished is cotton is chintz. It can be either 100% cotton or usually a Cotton/Poly Blend. It has a glaze finished on it to give it that polished look. The only problem with using it for quilting is that it's really not washable. After a few washings that polished look will dim. It not very good for upholstery since that glaze will also wear off do to use.

Happy Scissoring,

Scissorman USA
    THANK YOU for this info...and wildyard for asking.
    I have 3-4 nice size pieces that I love and was saving. Now I know not to put them in my quilts.
    I will probably use them for pillows as they don't get dirty often.
    Chintz is beautiful :thumbup:
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Hi Linda. I have always used polished cotton along with my other cottons in my quilts. It does have a finish to the face of it. When you use it in a block just be sure its all cut face up. I have found it to be very sturdy. Just my opinion. Helen
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Everyone has been so helpful and informative, as I knew they would be!! I will be using my lovely polished cottons in quilts and wall hangings. I will use it as the spirit moves me, just like any other fabrics. It does have a tight weave, but I don't do much hand sewing anyway, so that won't be an issue for me.
    If the polish wears off, I'll still have the lovely prints and patterns to look at!!!
    Thanks so much everyone, Hugs and smilessssss, Linda
    PS: I'm glad this was a helpful question for others as well as myself.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM

When I buy this fabric I always wash first and use it for backs of quilts because it is 54 wide. It is typically for drapes.