Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who is going out on Black Friday? >
  • Who is going out on Black Friday?

• Who is going out on Black Friday?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM

NO way, I value my sanity!
    Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Well, I would go if someone wanted to pay me enough - but I have actually just about stopped buying gifts altogether. I do have a Hancock Fabric a few hundred yards from my house, so may stop in there if they are having anything really fabulous. I can't imagine what would be fabulous enough for me to go into Joanns though - really dislike that store. Nothing in this world that I need so will be happy to hang out and quilt with my pal all weekend.
    Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dyan
    I have been shopping on BF for over 20 years, I am going this year too, not sure where, but not to JoAnn's. I am looking at the new Ipad air that you get a 100 gift card to the store for purchasing...Plus I have 15% off.
    We were also looking for that Ipad and I almost had hubby talked into going out into the frenzy. However, he found the same thing on line for the same price at Walmart.com and it will arrive tomorrow.
    Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    You'll be lucky I asked ages ago and still don't understand what it means. Looked like it is a shopping day.
    Black Friday is the day that stores first offer holiday shopping. It is called Black Friday because that is the first day of the calendar year that most retailers are in the "black" or making a profit. Almost all their profit is made in the last 6 weeks of the year.

I will probably not go out. I've looked at Joann's flyer and there is nothing that tempting to me. I have more fabric than I have room to store it. I have also looked at other stores' sales but will be buying only what I need - unless Accuquilt GO dies are on sale.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 11-21-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have never been to a BF, but I worked in the vision department of Walmart one year and the day after Christmas was a madhouse!!! They had so many isles open for people returning gifts they didn't want. Glad I give quilts or gift cards!
    Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 PM

On BF, I'm recovering from having the Thanksgiving meal. Our grandkids bring up all the Christmas decorations Thanksgiving afternoon, so I start the decorating and everyone comes here for hot Turkey sandwiches and leftovers Friday night. My DDIL goes with her parents and sister to a mall 1 1/2 hours away for BF. She loves shopping - I don't. When the grandkids were little I use to watch them for her when DS had to work.
    Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM

One of my daughters and I have been doing black Friday for years. A few years ago the DGD's wanted to go with us, so we have added them to the fun. We are selective about where we shop and have learned how to avoid the worst of the crowds. We start between 5 and 6 A.M. We call it our "hunting day" We have to be home in time for the guys to head out to the woods for their hunting since there has to be someone home with a special needs DGS. All fun and wonderful. We love it.
    Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Absolutely not!

One of our LQS usually starts their fall sale that day but I'll wait until Saturday to go check it out.

Furthermore, I make a mental note on which stores are open on Thanksgiving Day and avoid shopping there, period! I think it's disgraceful to make your employees work on a day when they should be with their families. Shame on them!

Meanwhile, my grandkiddies are now old enough to make "Wish Lists" on amazon. I'll be shopping on Cyber Monday. Not to mention Craft-Show-Season starts on Saturday.

Did I mention how much I love craft shows?
    Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

Unlike a dear friend of mine who is crazy enough to be out there in the trenches at midnight or 1 AM, I avoid the malls like the plague. A long time ago, we did go out, but went later in the day and did avoid the mall, and only went to a couple smaller places. Usually we get something for Zoe, our DGD, and the rest, which is a small group indeed, I try to make them something unique. Our DIL's Mom makes the most delicious jams, jellies and pickles, which are a real treat, so I try to make them something unique, this year probably a wall hanging, like the red candle with holly in the Sept.-Oct. Quiltmaker. I made 2 for a fair and they were snatched up quickly.
    Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 PM

yes, I am going to my Bee and sew all day, what a great way to spend Black Friday!!!!

Last edited by Geri B; 11-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.