Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who is going out on Black Friday? >
  • Who is going out on Black Friday?

• Who is going out on Black Friday?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM

If I do anything remotely connected to out-of-house shopping, it will be on the selling end of things. I occasionally work at an antique store and have never had to work BF. I'm not scheduled to do it this year but she just had a lady quit with no notice so who knows. Since my oldest daughter won't be coming home and youngest daughter will be working, I'll be okay with working if I'm asked. I kinda thrive on chaos so I should be ok!!

Don't know if the 2 LQS will have sales or not. Haven't heard of anything yet
    Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 PM

To help better explain Black Friday to non-US members:

Thursday, November 28 is a holiday here for us - Thanksgiving. It is tradition for most non-retail businesses to have the next day - Friday - off.

It was a marketing ploy started many years ago to use Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving always) as the kick off day to the holiday shopping season. Stores would open at extremely early hours and offer goods with unbelievable low prices to entice people to come (often only having one or two of the item!) It caused crowds of people to line up in the night to get in these stores and caused mobs of people to rush the stores and push and shove to get to the "stuff". Which is why you see most of us here saying that there is no way we would go out on Black Friday!

Stores are now starting Black Friday sales much earlier and are now opening on Thanksgiving Day.

This is American culture!
    Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
    I am. But I'm only going to 2 places. There are 2 Quilt Shops who will be having BF deals so I'm going to treat myself. I'm sure they won't be too busy. Anyone else have Quilt Shops with special sales? Anyone know if on-line shops do specials?
    Not me.....did that several years ago and said..Never again
    Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 PM

I am disappointed in Jo'anns black Friday sales. I took a peak at the flyer and no big batting sale. Every year I would get up tuck my jammies into my pants.. cover with a coat... walk in get my roll of W&N..head to check out .. and be back in bed by 6:30 AM.
    Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I am disappointed in Jo'anns black Friday sales. I took a peak at the flyer and no big batting sale. Every year I would get up tuck my jammies into my pants.. cover with a coat... walk in get my roll of W&N..head to check out .. and be back in bed by 6:30 AM.
    I saw that too. Would be the only reason I would go. The 2 LQS I'm going to don't open until 10:00 so don't have to get up early. Not going to any other stores. BF is all about me :O)
    Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
    Power Poster

Been there done that but not this year
    Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm just going to the Wellness Center to exercise. My two favorite quilt stores are having their big sale on Saturday.
    Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM

I always hit a couple of stores with my sister while visiting her very small town. But I do plan to do some 12:01 shopping at a fabric site for some fabric for table toppers for my daughter's wedding--already scouted it out. Otherwise, I usually have my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving--too stressed and broke if I didn't!
    Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM

That is one day I stay away from the stores. Part of my holiday ritual is to start my shopping on 12/15. but I only have a few people to buy for.
    Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM

I don't go out on BF. I will sew and spend time with family. Nothing I want to make me go out in that mess. We give money for Christmas and then everyone can go out and get what they want after the holidays. That way they get to decide what they REALLY want. May check out some on-line quilt shops.