Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who Knew Quilters Were Wrestlers, Too? >
  • Who Knew Quilters Were Wrestlers, Too?

• Who Knew Quilters Were Wrestlers, Too?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM

It takes a lot of time to hand quilt, but thats all i know, and it takes time to build up these callouses on my finger tips..
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM
    Power Poster

But the problem with hand quilting is the time it takes. I will always have a project going but I want to MQ so I can churn out more quilts!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Dunster, thanks for the book tip!! I've been wanting to get one.
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 AM

I have a hand embroidered quilt that my mom started and I finished the embroidery. I decided to hand quilt it. It is my first hand quilting. I decided to do lap quilting since I don't have a frame and I work on it when we travel. My hubby likes road trips and does most of the driving. At this point it has almost 30,000 miles on it.
    I do my own machine quilting on a regular sewing machine. The first 2 were baby quilts, the next one was a king size. It just takes practice to get it all working easily and a large table helps. I've been dooing it now for 10 years.
    Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm not sold on MQ have always Hand Quilted. But would like to whip out a few Baby Quilts quickly. Wish I had time to hand quilt them all, but I feel bad giving a baby quilt to a 2 year old!! LOL So far I've only machine quilted two that I had to give away, because I knew the receiver expected some kind of gift.!! They were still pretty, but not my best work. My family doesn't mind getting quilts a little late, and luckily, I do manage to finish before the baby is two! :)
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:20 PM

I really love hand quilting but sometimes I need a quilt for a quick gift and that I machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine. My machine quilting is far from perfect, but I'm getting so much more comfortable with it now. All the practicing did make all the difference in the world.
    Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 AM

I have tried hand quilting and did very poorly at it. Also my cataracts don't make it easy. I respect and adore hand quilted quilts and really wish there were more of them - I think they are more valuable then machine quilted ones. I have a mid arm and FMQ all my quilts but they sure aren't as beautiful as the hand quilted ones.
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:30 AM

I love to handquilt. But usually MQ so I can get the quilt finished. Handquilting for me requires a frame and I don't have room - tiny house. Haven't tried a standing hoop, though.
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I also have tremendous respect for hand quilters. As for machine quilting on a DSM, it really helps if you have a machine that settles down into a large table, rather than using the sewing extension table. It is also much easier if you machine quilt in sections. Marti Michell's book is great for explaining how to do that.
    I found out yesterday when I quilted a twin size quilt on my machine that is now in a Horn Cabinet how much easier that makes the quilting. Quilting is not my favorite thing, but it was almost fun when I had the right equipment. Mine is "gently used" thus, more affordable. I 'wish' for one in your future. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say the quilt gets caught on the extension table. Mine did too.
    Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 AM

I love to hand quilt! But - I do appreciate all of you out there who can "wrestle" your fabric into the machine and come up with beautiful quilting! Is this why so many of you look forward to the day when you have a longarm?

I'm going to try to use my machine on my next quilt by using SID. It may send me over the edge and back to hand quilting! :lol:

Thanks for sharing this vent! Many of us are there with you and it's so nice to know we are not alone.
    Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
    Reminds me of sailing vs motor boating.
    So funny. I know what you mean. I like the sailing myself. The other is too fast for me. But I have started sending some out to be longarm quilted because I like it too and the finished "feel" of the quilt is different. 80% of my quilts are hand quilted. I make the time. When I lay out myu quilts to hand stitch, I feel like I am playing the game "Twister", I get tangled up.♥