Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Whoopsy   OBW Miscut >
  • Whoopsy OBW Miscut

• Whoopsy OBW Miscut

Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM

I've never made a OBW and was eager to try. So I bought the F and P 60 degree ruler. Instead of cutting 6 identical layers I only cut 5. Not sure what I can do now. Any ideas??
    Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM

Can you cut another layer, using the previous cuts as a pattern and match up pieces as you go? Definitely a hassle and not a quick and easy process, but it would enable you to have the proper pieces.
    Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
    Power Poster

If you have enough fabric, put Glad Press and Seal on your ruler. Lay the ruler on a block and trace the features with a sharpie. You can then take your ruler to your piece and cut out an exact match for your 6th piece. Discard the plastic and put on a new piece, trace etc. until you have all your pieces.
    If you don't have enough fabric, consider putting one solid shape in a the base kind of like the bird body of a peacock. The other 5 pieces will look like the tail and you could applique the eyes and beak on the plain piece? Just an idea.
    Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    If you have enough fabric, put Glad Press and Seal on your ruler. Lay the ruler on a block and trace the features with a sharpie. You can then take your ruler to your piece and cut out an exact match for your 6th piece. Discard the plastic and put on a new piece, trace etc. until you have all your pieces.
    If you don't have enough fabric, consider putting one solid shape in a the base kind of like the bird body of a peacock. The other 5 pieces will look like the tail and you could applique the eyes and beak on the plain piece? Just an idea.
    I really like your idea, I might just do this on purpose to see what comes up. Thanks for the idea.
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 PM

I took a class for the OBW through my quilt guild a few years ago. We only cut five on purpose, added a semicircle(base of the flower that the petals sit in) and then added the stem and leaves. Although I didn't care for the technique, it turned out kinda cute. OBW is definitely NOT for me...but then...that's why we are all "individuals"
    Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I like the idea of making flowers since it is also a flowery fabric. I'll post a pic when I get it figured out. Even though i bought the fabric in the clearance bin, it is too pretty to give up on. Glenda