Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why bobbin areas need to be cleaned >
  • Why bobbin areas need to be cleaned

• Why bobbin areas need to be cleaned

Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM

You can use them to hang pictures, use them to hold your fabric on your wall, you can use them for lots of things. GG
    Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Eddie, be sure to also remove the unit the bobbin sits IN. You'll find more compact lint in there to vacuum. Yes, these things do require a vacuuming on a regular basis. Thanks for the reminder.
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM

I use a pipe cleaner to clean out my bobbin. The lint seems to cling to it. I don't have a small vacuum. Maybe I should put that on my birthday list?!
    Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
    Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I read to not use canned air. I was reading tips from a shop and he said that he can always tell when someone uses air because it blows the lint deeper into the machine where it does more damage and you can't clean it out.
    I totally agree with Pam ! Never use canned air on your sewing machine . Can blow that dust and lint into the workings of your machine and totally mess it up ! I use my vacuum , very carefully . For lint I can see I use tweezers . I'm not too sure about using a q-tip either . Seems like that might push lint farther down in the machine . A clean machine is a happy machine :lol: Annie
    ditto--We used the air briefly until we heard the same as above. I usually clean mine each time I change the bobbin. On the quilting machine, I give a quick cleaning with each change, then a thorough cleaning when I finish the quilt.
    Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 AM

Eddie,
    I have had my michine for years, and every time I have to rewind my bobbin, I clean out my bobbin area. When I took my machine in for cleaning, and oiling, the man told me it was the cleanest machine he had ever seen. He said it only had two pieces of lent in it. I felt pretty good, lol. :D Pauline
    Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I keep my little brush nex to my spare bobbin box and clean everytime I change or refill a bobbin. I oil around once a week; I also clean after machne quilting - batting makes more lint than regular fabric. And I change needles after quilting with poly batting which blunts like nothing else!

Don't I sound good? I have to add that this is only since I got my new (to me) machine. The old one had the same needle in for ten years and used to get it's bobbin race blown into once in a blue moon if it was lucky! :oops: :lol:
    Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by mamatobugboo
    LOL - that reminds me of when I was a new sewer and I kept getting "birdsnests" on the bottom of the fabric - my friend/quilt teacher suggested I clean the bobbin casing area - I took out the bobbin and thre was about 1/8 in. worth of sewing dust under the bobbin! cleaned it out and everything immediately worked!

great suggestion/picture!
    I had the same thing happen after I had taken a FMQ class. I might
    add that I had been using Coats and Clark thread. My teacher said
    that it was made of short lengths of thread unlike the more expensive
    threads. Since that time, I use better thread and haven't had the
    problem again.
    Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
    Banned

Back in the early 1980's I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale . I thought cool it's only $20.00 ! Had a scrap of fabric under the needle where someone had sewed on it . Took it home , plugged it in . Nothing would move ! Crap ! Took the throatplate off and my god what a mess was in there . Pieces of thread , thread wrapped around the bobbin shuttle. But I started cleaning this out and a couple hours later . I kid you not a half a paper lunch sack full of lint and thread pieces ! Some of it was so compacted that it had gotten hard . After that a good oiling and it worked fine for a few more years . Also changed the needle . Annie
    Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Well Eddie - it sounds like you got a few of us checking our machines :). I usually do my when it's acting up--maybe now I won't wait that long. :) :)
    Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 AM
    Power Poster

my machines are young-uns compared to many, but I am a real believer in prevention is worth a pound of cure! thanks for the heads up, and the convincing picture! :D