Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric? >
  • Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

• Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I buy a lot of bolts.. I make quilts for newborns in need, and well I just love fabric.. Every now and then i sell some off that I haven't used but I prefer to buy the whole bolt versus yardage.. I want to make sure I have enough for a project if i need it..
    Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Since a bolt is only 15 yards, you can go through that quickly just by using 5-7 yards for a backing!
    Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM
    Power Poster

I would like to but, haven't seen whole bolts of white on white and off white on off white. If I did I would probably buy the full bolt. Lots of uses for it. A matching backing to main color on quilt top can use up that 15 yds. real fast.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I would like to but, haven't seen whole bolts of white on white and off white on off white. If I did I would probably buy the full bolt. Lots of uses for it. A matching backing to main color on quilt top can use up that 15 yds. real fast.
    If i find WOW, or TOT or even beautiful neutrals I certainly buy the bolt.. One can never have enough neutral in their stash.. And they make great alternative backings if you cant find exactly what your looking for..
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM

I buy whole bolts of bleached and natural muslin, kona black, and some nutruals, and some solids that i will use on a regular baises, and i only buy when it is on sale or i have a 50% coupon.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM

That makes sense to buy a whole bolt when making a queen sized quilt. I never thought about it but it would be better to make sure you have more than enough to prevent the store not having the fabric in stock later. Thanks!
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 PM

I will buy a bolt if I can get a good deal. Usually black, white-on-white, neutral TOT or muslin if I have a coupon. I picked up a bolt of black Kona at Goodwill for $10! Most prints I probably wouldn't unless I was working on a large quilt where I knew I would use it.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
    Banned

I know many who buy whole bolts of wide, backgrounds, specialty stuff...#1- reason, if they get the shop to special order it and pay up front, some shops offer bolt pricing!
    I wish I would have bought more bolts of the Original fairy frost gold...it was much prettier than the stuff they brought out 3-4 years ago!
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

There are blenders or particularly rich batiks I would buy by the bolt, or backings. I regularly buy Moda's excellent muslin that way. I suspect, however, that some people would do it because they are making a lot (maybe charity baby quilts) and don't mind doing the same thing over and over. On a good sale, that's another thing. DH bought me a full bolt of railroad denim one day at 50 cents a yard, and some lovely rich all wool plaid another time. I got tired of both, but used all of it and was happy to have the fabric on hand.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Marshall's has in store specials usually $1.98 per yard if you buy the whole bolt. Yardage is 8 - 15 yards per bolt. I can buy the whole bolt of most name brand fabrics for what a few yards would cost if cut from the bolt. I wouldn't buy a whole bolt from a quilt shop at regular per yard price.

I didn't know this. I will have to keep it in mind next it I go! Hmmmm...

Saturday??