Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • why do people do this?? >
  • why do people do this??

• why do people do this??

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Default why do people do this??

This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda
    Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
    Power Poster

Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, so as to make the seam a scant 1/4" when you run your fabric along the edge of the foot.

Why have a 2nd one, when one will do the job?
    In$tead you can $ave your $ for more fabric!

I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4. On my digital machine, I just move the needle over a little.

Totally agree! A scant 1/4" is in sane!
    Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM

For my machine they have two types of 1/4 inch feet , one with a single needle size hole and another that you can move the needle either way a few milimeters. Once I found the one I could move the needle .. I rarely use the other. You may find it called and edge stitching foot... its is worth the $$$
    Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM

I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.
    Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda

I'm one for bending the rules. Why not just use the 1/4" on all your blocks?

If you really need the scant quarter, make it out on the sewing machine and then mark with some painters tape. Easy enough to remove when you are done.
    Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4.
    what a clever idea! i have a foot with a fence/guide on one machine. thanks for the tip
    Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM

I can position my needle several clicks to the right or left by pushing a button. I click it once to the right, and that gives me a scant 1/4.
    Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM

I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD