Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why do people >
  • Why do people

• Why do people

Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM

Add please get back to me as my time is limited. Since we deal in vintage machines there is the trap of people wanting to discuss business and when all is said and done you find out all they were wanting was for you to give them an appraisal for free. Our new policy is- We charge an appraisal fee to cover our time, travel, gas etc which will be waved if we purchase the machine. It's amazing how quickly people decide whether or not they are serious about waisting your time. If you do have a buyer for items you make especially a custome order- require at least enough down to cover materials (non refundable)preferable 1/2 the amount of the total you're charging and final amount due at time of completion when the project is picked up or shipped.
    Old 05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
    Power Poster

Simple. Repy with send me your name/address/phone number and I'll discuss this with you over the phone. That will weed out all the just asking folks.
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM

i think one of the problems is people see the cheap chinese made quilts and think we should be able to make a quilt as cheap djw
    Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM

I know what you mean and they never take into account the amount of time it takes.
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM

Yes, things have changed over the years and have gone south. Gone are the days when kids get in trouble at school and then get in trouble at home. Now, the parents come to school and chew out the teachers, principals, and even the secretaries!!!!! I worked in a K - 12 school in the office as one of the secretaries/bookkeeper. One of the first years I worked, the parent came to the school with a gun! Was going to start on us before she went on to the teachers and principal. The kids are turning out just like their parents!
    Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM

So of these are the reason I no longer have a commercial embroidery business....especially the "I've had this sitting on my desk for 2 months but our event is Monday" This said on Friday while delivery 2000 pieces...and yes we got them done but there wasn't any weekend that week.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM

You are so on. People are so use to walmart prices. I guss
    they think the fabric is free and your time.Things are not cheap, cheap, I've had people call and ask about getting a
    quilt quitled . Don't hear from them again. I'm not high in my price.I guess they find somene.
    Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM

I would never in my life expect an artist(quilters are ya know) to discount her/his creation. That is just crass, crude and rude and I don't mind telling someone that. Trouble is, if they ask, they don't care about your answer.
    Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Maybe someday someone will come back with: "You're kidding!" and you'll have the chance to explain why you really are not kidding. Don't forget to mention how many hours you'd be investing in this project.
    Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
    inquire if you will make them something that you have showed in the picture section, I give them a price and then they disappear off the radar. At least have the decency to get back to me (or you) and say why they have changed their mine. The price I gave was extremely reasonable and included shipping. I honestly believe some people thing what they want to buy should be cheap but if they were selling it, it should cost a lot more.
    When I first started making quilts, about fifteen years ago, I took a few commisions but people were not very nice if it did not turn out exactly how they had imagined. So I don't do that any more. People from a lot of different crafts and arts have said that they don't take commisions for that reason. I used to throw pots, too, same thing.