Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why do you think quilting is so popular now? >
  • Why do you think quilting is so popular now?

• Why do you think quilting is so popular now?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Briarberry
    I'm just guessing but maybe it's because there are so many baby boomers out there who have retired and quilting is such a great hobby. Sure a lot of young people quilt too but when I go to quilt shows most of the folks there are older and they are the ones with the time and money. I am nearing retirement and fairly new to quilting but I am so glad I found such a great hobby. I used to worry what I would do once I retired but now I can see myself happily quilting with no interruptions like going to work! For now I just quilt when I can and am grateful for all the great advice and support I get on this board.
    Me, too. For me it's been great therapy after some unexpected surgery. I can do as much or little as I like and my(retirement) schedule allows. And I like that it actually produces something useful. I paint, too, but without a dedicated studio, painting can be messy. I've always been a fabric nut, even when I made all my clothes; when I saw a fabric that I loved I immediately began planning what to make with it. In quilting I do pretty much the same; I start with fabric(s) that I can't resist and then start thinking about how to put them together as a quilt.

By the way, love your avatar!
    Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 AM

1.So many of us are retired now and need a hobby that is less active.
    2.The tools are much improved and we love to buy toys; that why so many of us have the upscale computerized sewing/embroidery machines.
    3. We can do this sitting down.
    Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM

I'm guessing it's at least partly because the world has gone crazy. We can't count on our culture for civility or kindness or gentleness - you watch the sitcoms and every "joke" is either an innuendo or a put-down of another character. We don't go to church and build church families. We don't know our neighbors. Strangers take up arms and shoot up banks or schools or movie theaters.

A quilt is from a time when the world was slower and sweeter and less filled with ugliness. It's gentle and soft and comforting. Maybe those easier days can come back, again.
    Old 07-21-2012, 06:28 AM

I agree that sewing garments is the pits! Fitting, horribly $$ patterns and poorly written, plus ready made clothes are so cheap these days. Why I think quilting has prospered is its a creative outlet, the fabrics are much more exciting than 20 yr ago, designers are really pushing the envelope to develop awesome fabric designs and complex quilt patterns, and for me personally, ROTARY CUTTERS!
    Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    I think all of the free videos and instructions and this board has really helped! I would not be quilting if not for all three. I just wish it was not so expensive for the materials. Sad its cheaper to buy a premade one vs making a new one.
    Because the premade ones are made with cheap foreign labor .
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:13 AM

What do you mean "now"? Quilting has been around for centuries! It never left us.

I'm 66 years old and quilting was around when I was born and long before that. I was raised in the north (new england states) and now live in the south (coastal SE) and quilting is big around here as well and has been forever.
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 AM

I agree that the nicest, most helpful people quilt. Quilting is therapy. Unlike garment sewing, fitting is not an issue. Quilting is relaxing.
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 AM

I've enjoyed this discussion. I think all the reasons presented are good and true. Personally, I've grown interested in quilting because of the fitting problems in garment sewing. I love to sew and to share what I make with others. Quilting allows me to do that and also to incorperate embroidery, and applique. It seems like a lot of charities need quilts so that's and easy way to help and share. It makes me feel good about the way I use my time.
    Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM

I think it is several reasons. Methods improved. Patterns improved (We have Quiltmaker to thank for that). Mostly though, we had a much larger number of empty nesters with disposable income. Sure, there are younger people who quilt, but the vast majority of quilters, I think, are those whose kids are adults or near adults.

Knitting is what is popular with the younger women right now and that is certainly very popular.
    Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 AM

My daughter has just moved back to Memphis and she has had a difficult time finding fabric! I thought TN would be full of fabric stores!