Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why Fat Quarters?  Plus more about stash & donations >
  • Why Fat Quarters? Plus more about stash & donations

• Why Fat Quarters? Plus more about stash & donations

Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM
    RST

In discussion like these, it's interesting to see the varying ideas of what is "a lot" of fabric, or "too many fat quarters". I consider my stash to be pretty substantial, and am sometimes embarrassed a bit by the extent of it. But it all fits into one chest of drawers, fat quarters and yardage. Scrappy snippets are in shoe boxes by color, and limited to 8. So -- yeah, a good bit, but contained.

Then I see photos of stashes that involve industrial shelving floor to ceiling on all 4 walls of a full basement, with fat quarter counts in the thousands. . .

I think we all make the choices that make sense to us given our own lives and space. And sometimes we're not speaking the same language, even if we think we are!
    Old 07-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RST
    In discussion like these, it's interesting to see the varying ideas of what is "a lot" of fabric, or "too many fat quarters". I consider my stash to be pretty substantial, and am sometimes embarrassed a bit by the extent of it. But it all fits into one chest of drawers, fat quarters and yardage. Scrappy snippets are in shoe boxes by color, and limited to 8. So -- yeah, a good bit, but contained.

Then I see photos of stashes that involve industrial shelving floor to ceiling on all 4 walls of a full basement, with fat quarter counts in the thousands. . .

I think we all make the choices that make sense to us given our own lives and space. And sometimes we're not speaking the same language, even if we think we are!
    I feel like my stash is big too, but compared to a lot I've seen here and elsewhere, it's pretty skimpy. lol
    Old 07-17-2015, 12:56 PM

Medegenhart and Peckish, your "fat quarter" quilts are absolutely lovely! And that is the reason, I, too, buy fat quarters. Also, it's because I sometimes want "a little" of an entire line of fabric. What can I say other than I just love fabric?
    Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Thank you!
    Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    it's really bad when you buy a fat quarter and can't bring yourself to cut into it because it's so pretty...
    I am even worse - I have YARDAGE that I can't bring myself to cut because it is so pretty.
    Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

Pretty much all my stash is made up from Fat Quarters and most all my quilts are made from Fat quarters. I like scrappy quilts made with controlled colors.
    Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM
    Power Poster

I make a lot of scrappy quilts. They are great for that, but I do not buy them very often at all. However, my sister next door gave me 52 of them last August.
    Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Ummm.... how many YBR quilts do you make? I mean, I made one, seemed like enough. I did cut a second one out and made the blocks, would you like them?
    tim in san jose
    Hey, if you are offering, I'll take them!!
    Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 AM

I have only bought FQs to make a jar quilt. Now I have enough veggie, candy & bug prints to make several quilts. One of these days.....
    Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 AM

I'll buy them as a set, when the price is right and if it's a collection that I really like - and on occasion will buy them when my local lqs has them for $1, but other than that - I don't. I much prefer 1/2 yard cuts as it just increases my options. Right now, I'm doing a scrappy "jelly roll" quilt - but I don't buy jelly rolls, just cut them from width of fabric.