Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why isn't fabric really needle ready when we purchase it? >
  • Why isn't fabric really needle ready when we purchase it?

• Why isn't fabric really needle ready when we purchase it?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I consider fabric to be "needle ready" when I am reasonably sure that the fabric dyes will not run, bleed, or fade; and that there will be no more shrinkage or stretching of the fabric when it hits water (again).

Why isn't it?
    Why isn't clothing the same way? I very often buy larger sized knowing it will shrink when washed. I'm happy to wash one or two delicate garments by hand, but not every piece of clothing I own!
    Old 06-20-2014, 09:53 AM

I have seen some of the places fabric is made overseas and they have to put something in it to keep it from mildewing while being stored and shipped. As for the color running I can't see why the couldn't do something about that before putting it on the bolt however with the sizing and other chemical's and dyes I would never use the fabric before washing .
    Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    Why have British customs refused some of my fabric parcels from USA, because they say it contains drugs.
    considering the number of us who are confessed fabric junkies, they might have a point.
    Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM
    Power Poster

Super Member<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin-top: 2.5px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 2.5px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; display: block; height: auto !important; float: left; width: 190px; font-size: 12px; "><dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; text-align: left; min-width: 60px; width: 60px; ">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 0px; ">Jun 2010</dd><dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; text-align: left; min-width: 60px; width: 60px; ">Location</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 0px; ">England Alton Towers</dd><dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; text-align: left; min-width: 60px; width: 60px; ">Posts</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 0px; ">3,793</dd><dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; text-align: left; min-width: 60px; width: 60px; ">Blog Entries</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 0px; ">1</dd><dt style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; text-align: left; min-width: 60px; width: 60px; ">Feedback Score</dt><dd style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 0px; "></dd></dl>

Why have British customs refused some of my fabric parcels from USA, because they say it contains drugs.

I wish manufactures would look at purchasers problems and ensure all the above problems before selling.

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    considering the number of us who are confessed fabric junkies, they might have a point.

Good ones!!!!!
    Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I have seen some of the places fabric is made overseas and they have to put something in it to keep it from mildewing while being stored and shipped. As for the color running I can't see why the couldn't do something about that before putting it on the bolt however with the sizing and other chemical's and dyes I would never use the fabric before washing .
    Same here, as soon as it arrives in house it goes to serger to washer. Do not iron or spray starch after washing until ready to use. Here in FL we have too many bugs and they do not need food source.
    Old 06-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Narda H.
    When I buy fabric from a quilt shop, I bring it home, cut it up, make a quilt and then I'll wash it. The only time I've washed before using is when it is an intense red, black,navy color , that seems like it will bleed. I ordered dark red wide backing one time and washed it 3 times, because the color catcher was still red. When in doubt, I wash. To me nearly all quilt shop quality fabric is needle ready.
    I agree totally!!
    Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Actually - I was wondering how many of you consider the fabric you buy to be "needle ready" when you bring it home from the store.

I should have worded the question better.
    This seems to be a perennial question on this board. Prewash? Don't prewash? I don't usually, and am not going to start, although I had never thought in terms of "needle ready." For those who want to wash and iron three or more yards of fabric or worry with the ravelling in a fat quarter, more power to you. In the days when we made our own clothing, washing to take care of shrinkage was important, but once fabric was "sanforized," my mother and I said, "Hallelujah, amen," and gave up prewashing unless the colors were likely to bleed--red, black, dark blue, etc. froggyintexas
    Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 AM

*** May skin is very sensitive and I wash everything before usng or wearing.
    Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 AM

I don't have problems with chemicals, and only prewash garbage fabrics that really look like they'll run or shrink heaps.
    I like the idea of them being full of formaldehyde, if I breathe enough in I'll be pre embalmed and glow with youthfulness!!
    Seriously, there is so much muck in and on everything we buy, it's really not an issue unless you have real allergies.
    Old 06-21-2014, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

If it can't get washed it doesn't cut it in our place. Love your humour "patchy" .... but I am a washer and wiper of everything than can stand it. I have been doing some work in a public library lately.....and I didn't realise how much muck is on book covers...my hands are really grimy after a couple of hours. I also buy heaps of fabric from charity shops and vintage from online sellers. Amazing what comes out of some of it.