Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation! >
  • Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation!

• Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM

You should use this as a learning experience for you and your GS. Sit down and tell him what you learned (that he is not trustworthy yet to have friends over without supervision) and he will learn to think before he abuses your home and possessions by either paying to have them cleaned or working the cost off. Next time he will know better.
    Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

Perhaps you should reinforce the protocol on the use of your quilts and your GS probably knows this. However, when a bunch of kids get together, common sense can fly out the window. Next time I would leave out the quits that can be thrown on the floor and used and put the others away. Personally, I don't have that problem, as I made my quilts to be used.
    Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Ug!!!! bummer!!! I have quilts on a rack that my kids know that they can use. My problem is they sometimes will take them home with them....
    That sounds like the sincerest compliment to me!
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by collady
    My dh and I went to Knoxville on the 12 and stayed for a week. Then we went to Louisville until the 23. Our 18 year old GS lives with us and stayed home to take care of things. He was told that he could have company of the male gender while we were gone. Well, he did. On at least 2 night his buds all came to our house for poker parties! I have 10 quilts that are on display around the house. They range in size from large throws to king-sized. When we got home late on Saturday night, I discovered that every one of those lovely quilts had been used for sleeping on the floor! Stinky teen-aged boys on dirty floors meant that I am still washing quilts. Next time I leave for any period of time, I will lock the quilts in the bank! I really have too much time and labor and love invested in my quilts to allow them to be used like that!
    I understand your upset, that must have been quite a shock.

But I hope that in ten years, you can laugh about and use it to tease him in front of his new spouse (the classic parental revenge).
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lavada
    lose a grandson and you know the quilts really did not matter at least he was here
    So true and very wise.

If material goods start to be more important than loved ones, that's the time to re-consider priorities.
    Old 07-26-2011, 02:27 PM

I would have been furious and would have let the GS know about it in no uncertain terms. Of course I too would have been grateful that the whole bunch of them had not been out driving after partying.
    Next vacation perhaps you could leave clear "off limits" instructions or even have a GD stay over.
    Hope it all turns out well for you and your family.
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm so sorry this happened! I hope you are able to get them back to their original state. I'm rather angry with your GS. he should have known better!

I'm sorry your generosity allowing him to stay there was reciprocated like this!
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    That's why I only make quilts that are intended to be loved, used and possibly abused! With 5 sons and a daughter not all that long out of the teenage years and grandchildren around, I learned a long time ago to just expect stuff like that to happen.
    Ditto I won't be around forever and want to see them loved!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM

OH dear, That's a problem. Boy with smelly feet from sneakers, smoky, sweaty bodies, dirty hair. I hope your GS has been read the riot act and give the hands off any and all quilts, for the future. Why is it people just don't respect the time invested in making your babies.
    Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM

I'm gathering from the gist of many of these responses --- I love my grandkids so anything goes?

NOT!