Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation! >
  • Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation!

• Why one should hide their quilts when going on vacation!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by collady
    My dh and I went to Knoxville on the 12 and stayed for a week. Then we went to Louisville until the 23. Our 18 year old GS lives with us and stayed home to take care of things. He was told that he could have company of the male gender while we were gone. Well, he did. On at least 2 night his buds all came to our house for poker parties! I have 10 quilts that are on display around the house. They range in size from large throws to king-sized. When we got home late on Saturday night, I discovered that every one of those lovely quilts had been used for sleeping on the floor! Stinky teen-aged boys on dirty floors meant that I am still washing quilts. Next time I leave for any period of time, I will lock the quilts in the bank! I really have too much time and labor and love invested in my quilts to allow them to be used like that!
    I would make a quilt for GS (if you haven't yet), and tell him that is the only one he may share with his friends. I remember my DD's taking quilts and pillows to 'stay the night'. No reason these smelly teens can't do the same! Let their mamas do the extra laundry. Just a thought. ;-)
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Huh? What's wrong with that?? Isn't that why you make pretty blankets and stuff?? :roll:
    Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
    Power Poster

That's too bad, hope they weren't ruined.
    Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 AM

I think I would be educating the GS on those quilts and how to use them or not use them in this case. Have some standby's on hand if you do this again.
    Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 AM
    Power Poster

I am sorry. I know you want your quilts to be used and loved but apparently they where used very inappropiately.
    ))))))))))))HUGS(((((((((((((((
    Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Time for grandson to get a lecture and "meeting of the minds" on the care of quilts and on how much you have invested in them (timewise). And as each "buddy" visits while you're home, they get the lecture also.
    Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I taught school there were so many parents who came to the rescue of their misbehaved kids. It was awful. No matter what the child did or how wrong the behavior was, they made an excuse and turned the situation around where it was your fault and not theirs. After seeing this so often the only satisfaction I had was to imagine this child as a teenager and adult and then ask the parent if it was the right thing to do at the time. They the parents will pay in the long run. Their kids will always be in trouble and then they will be sorry. Too bad society will also pay to have them around. Poor kids will never learn responsibility and independence. Pity!!
    And of course, the parents will be saying "where did we go wrong?????" Duhhhhh!
    Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Oh My HECK! I would throw a hissy fit!!!
    Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by collady
    My dh and I went to Knoxville on the 12 and stayed for a week. Then we went to Louisville until the 23. Our 18 year old GS lives with us and stayed home to take care of things. He was told that he could have company of the male gender while we were gone. Well, he did. On at least 2 night his buds all came to our house for poker parties! I have 10 quilts that are on display around the house. They range in size from large throws to king-sized. When we got home late on Saturday night, I discovered that every one of those lovely quilts had been used for sleeping on the floor! Stinky teen-aged boys on dirty floors meant that I am still washing quilts. Next time I leave for any period of time, I will lock the quilts in the bank! I really have too much time and labor and love invested in my quilts to allow them to be used like that!
    I would sure have had a "discussion"with my GS.
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Originally Posted by mom-6
    That's why I only make quilts that are intended to be loved, used and possibly abused! With 5 sons and a daughter not all that long out of the teenage years and grandchildren around, I learned a long time ago to just expect stuff like that to happen.
    I have 2 quilts I made that don't generally get used, but all the rest are for using on beds, couches, air mattresses, floors as needed. They all wash, and since I made them to be used, they take the washing very well. If one has quilts not to be used, then maybe hang them on the walls so the unknowing persons won't be tempted to use them. Just a suggestion! :-)
    I agree. He probably just didn't know and thought that they were meant to be used.