Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends? >
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

• Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 AM

I like the way all the same type fabrics (i.e. cotton) look and feel in a quilt. For most quilts, I like to know the fabrics can be cared for the same, and will probably 'wear' and 'age' the same. But if that's not an issue for you, you can use whatever you want.
    Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Ok, I've been sewing forever and a week and have used all sorts of fabrics for all sorts of purposes.

Why is there such a definite prejudice among quilters against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Is it a matter of 'staying true to our roots' or something else?

Or is it related to different ironing temperature required if you are going to use fusible web for applique?

So far I haven't encountered any noticeable difficulties using fabrics of unknown fiber content in my quilts (some of which I suspect are 100% polyester), so I wondered what is going on.
    I made a king size Star Spin quilt out of black fabric for background. Poly bearded thru it. I worked so hard on it. It looks so tacky. I have to use a roller on it everytime I was to get new pills off. Thats my grip. but have used it too with no problems. So I am just careful now.
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM

I am wondering about this too. I thought of making quilts for charity and they only accept all cotton fabrics. I cannot afford to buy only expensive fabric to give away. I would think if I was poor ( or wouldn't have to be for that matter) I would be happy to receive a quilt.
    I think one should just sew what they like and like everyone says there are no quilt police. You do what you can afford and enjoy what you do.
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 AM

I like cotton, I like blends.. I even like those hated old poly knits.. I don't like them together, but I use them all for different things. Cotton, yes, it's wonderful and soft and traditional.. Blends for kids quilts that are going have to take a beating and many, many washings.. and I have a double knit quilt that I keep in the car for whatever it needs to be used for.. a picnic blanket.. a blanket to lay on the ground so my husband can fix something that's broken when we're traveling.. or just to cover up with because I didn't wear something warm enough. I love poly, it never wears out and doesn't even fade.. it may last longer than I do!
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    back when I started to quilt...I used whatever I liked...
    Now, I know about the way that different fabrics hold up and wash and shrink...
    plus the poly is slippery and harder to work with. cotton sticks to it self making it easier to keep pieces of fabric together when sewing
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 AM

I have nothing against polyester I do make a quilt out of all of one or other fabric no mixing I think when the cotton thing really started was over hand work and the creasing needle turn applique was very difficult with a polyester blend as well has hand quilting more difficult to needle but with all of the machine work nowadays I don't see where it makes a difference I just do not mix the two poly is much stronger hardly ever bleeds or fades with age and I like it for pillow cases does not need the ironing
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 AM

I have nothing against polyester I do make a quilt out of all of one or other fabric no mixing I think when the cotton thing really started was over hand work and the creasing needle turn applique was very difficult with a polyester blend as well has hand quilting more difficult to needle but with all of the machine work nowadays I don't see where it makes a difference I just do not mix the two poly is much stronger hardly ever bleeds or fades with age and I like it for pillow cases does not need the ironing
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 AM
    Banned

Could it be that we have been conditioned by garment companies relating to poly/cotton not being suitable for sleepwear. However, for me it is the issue of the fabric reacting differently when put together. The care that must be taken when pressing. I sent a box of fabric to a group one time that had some blends in it and they sorted the fabric and would not pay for the shipping of the part that had blended fabric in it. It is always amazing to me that someone would not make charity quilts from blends when they don't hesitate to buy sleepwear for their kids and grandkids.
    We probably are going to see more blended fabric especially in the big box stores so will have to adjust our thinking.
    I have tried using a combination of fabrics in a project and the frustration of working with it is not worth the aggrivation. I have a large supply of triangle shaped poly/cotton pieces that obviously came from a garment factory. I'm going to add some cotton strips between them and make large blocks for toronado quilts.
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 AM

I sew clothing out of fabrics that stretch and ravel, like ponte, rayon knits and linen. For me, sewing with quilting fabrics is more pleasurable. Quilting-weight 100% cotton is stable and presses well. And when I make a mistake, I can rip out a seam and restitch without a problem.
    Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 AM

I have used poly/cotton in many quilts I've made over the years. Do be aware however that the ironing temps are lower. If it's a quilt for a child, have found that they wash and wear much longer than 100% cotton (don't send the quilt police after me!). Have also found poly/cotton holds up much better than very thin, inexpensive cotton from some of the discount stores. Now...all of that being said most of my quilts are made with good quality cottons. I come from the school of "use what you have".
    Brenda