Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends? >
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

• Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 AM

Boy, does this conversation make me feel better. I have tons of scraps left over from my seamstress days and I wanted to use some of that up, but had just felt that in the general conversations with quilters that using those left over fabrics (many polyester blends, etc) was a definite NO-NO. Now I can use some of them without worrying about the "quilt police"!!!!
    Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM

staying true to roots, would mean you used the poly stuff. quilters used whatever they could get their hands on!

i just prefer and am comfortable using cottons.

i have watched a new quilter using the polyester fabrics from the thrift store. making charity quilts for the homeless..and she is having nothing but frustration. won't put a stablizer on the backs..so it is always wonky. can't help her if she won't listen.she would be so much happier with cottons.
    Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 AM

I love poly/cotton blends. They hold their colors, they don't shrink, and when I use them for pillow cases, they are smooth and silky. I love cotton, too, and use whatever goes with whatever I'm making. Since I'm not making heirloom quilts or care whether they win a prize somewhere, I can do what I please without regard to the quilt police. And I do declare that there are some around! froggyintexas
    Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

I use 100% for bed quilts but have used blends for landscape wallhangings. The two considerations I take into account are 1) poly does not breath and 2) poly can snag. But the most beautiful quilts are ones where people thought "outside of the box" and did their own thing. I say whatever makes you happy go for it!
    Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm concerned with the polys that if there is a fire, they will melt - especially when I'm making children's or charity quilts. Also mixed a cotton/poly in with cotton in a trip around the world - after pressing, had to go back and remove the cotton/poly 'cause it shrank (shrunk/shrinked). :-)
    Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 AM

I don't get it either. I much prefer the blends over cotton. They hold up and keep their bright colors a whole lot better than cotton. I have some quilts I made years ago using both fabrics, but the cotton is gone and only the blends remain, still as bright as the day I finished the quilt.
    Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    Ok, I've been sewing forever and a week and have used all sorts of fabrics for all sorts of purposes.

Why is there such a definite prejudice among quilters against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Is it a matter of 'staying true to our roots' or something else?

Or is it related to different ironing temperature required if you are going to use fusible web for applique?

So far I haven't encountered any noticeable difficulties using fabrics of unknown fiber content in my quilts (some of which I suspect are 100% polyester), so I wondered what is going on.
    I'm with you, I don't understand it either. I use whatever is available and have never encountered a problem.
    Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Originally Posted by ckcowl
    there are (traditionalists) who would ... have heart attacks if they new so many of us use polyester thread too---some people get one thing in their head---and decide it is (the one and only) and anyone who does a bit different---well- boy the nose can sure go in the air....
    sometimes i wonder how they actually reached adulthood---with their narrow-minded- tunnel vision.
    but grow they do--and they pass on their beliefs- without ever actually knowing if there is a better way...or a better fabric...or a better thread...or a better batt...if it is what they were taught in the beginning- it is THE ONLY WAY!!! in their minds...
    seems they are also the loudest---quickest to spout off ...self rightous...their way or the highway...
    my quilt i made using corduroys, velvets, other mixed fibers ... one of those who (know all) informed me it's not even a quilt---since it is not 100% cotton...and you sewed it with WHAT???OMG...
    funny- it looks like a quilt- it has 3 layers, top, batting,back...binding...hmmmm
    sorry-
    can you tell---i don't get along well with some....
    Enjoyed your comment .. my thoughts exactly!
    Your comment says it all-------------and I agree with you all the way.
    Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM

I'm in the 'use what you have and can afford' camp. I don't , however, like to mix them. I feel that the cotton and the blends dont age the same. Think bright blend with 'aged' cotton.
    Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM

I personally don't like the fact that polyester is chemically produced and will off-gas for it's entire life. I know people who have extreme chemical sensivities and wouldn't want them not to be able to use the things I make.