Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why sell fabric? >
  • Why sell fabric?

• Why sell fabric?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Why do so many give the impression that it is "wrong" to try to sell it instead of giving it away?

If I bought a new car - and no longer have room for the old one - "should" I donate it

I could, but would that be the first suggestion from 80% of my acquaintances?
    Your point is well taken, however, do you buy a new car monthly, and sell/donate the "old"....... Not unless your name is trump!
    Old 03-07-2015, 05:05 AM

I love buying on this board. Very good prices, color coordinated, good quality, and I can get more for my money here than going to the store. the fabric store is 1 1/2 hrs away.
    Old 03-07-2015, 05:30 AM

I've also bought at rummage sales or thrift shops because it was "too good to pass up." When I looked at it later, I thought "what was I thinking."
    Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 AM

I'm one of those that is trying hard not to invest in any more fabric, so I tend to use as much as I can for backings. I piece together some and just use whole, other's. I don't give away anything. Charity quilts get most of my fabrics anymore and they look pretty good! Sometimes, the back is quite attractive......
    Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 AM

I put my unwanted fabrics in our stash at the local store for quilts we give to people in need. That way when anyone needs fabric to make a donation quilt we have it for those who cannot afford to keep buying it.
    Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Could be people get deals on lots of fabric (boxes at garage sales, etc) and are unloading what they don't want too.
    I haven't bought from our sales section but I do look occasionally. Plenty of reasons for people to sell.
    Rodney
    Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

I think it's awesome that people with extra fabric are willing to sell it at low prices to other board members. I wish more members were willing to join in.
    I give my quilts away, and I give away my non-quilting fabric. If I have fabric someone needs, I will share.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to make a judgement about whether I donate, give away or sell fabric that I am not going to use. It should be of NO concern to anyone except the buying and selling partners and the monitors to see that the rules are being followed.
    Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 AM

I can understand selling fabric once in a while when you realize you'll never use it. But there are some who sell it monthly, that I don't understand. I wonder if the people doing this are continuing to buy more when selling old. I use mine when I'm doing a practice piece; especially for serging or emb when I'm want to make sure it turns out right before putting my favorite fabric into it. To each his own.
    Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Just went to For Sale portion of the board and looked at all the fabric that is being sold. I wonder how much fabric one has to have to be wanting to "sell" some. Even some " not so cool" stuff could be backings....or like someone says....cut small enough can't tell it " ugly"..... My daughter calls my stash "Joann's Basement".... But I will use it somewhere, sometime, somehow.....just not adding to it ( much)...... Anyway, I was just wondering............why
    Funny you asked this as I very recently asked Jan where the fabrics for sale was at. She told me how to get to it & I have just tonight bought 10 yards of beautiful fabric at a great price. I know the quilters on the board have good fabric and at their fabric prices it is a win/win situation. I am grateful for the sales.
    Jeri
    Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    When one gets old like me and have to downside to a smaller apt, fabric that we had bought but will never use, it is better to sell it then just give it away. I am doing both. We on the board call it a garage sale. I know that one member was considering opening a store but her plans fell thru so she is selling it on QB.
    I quoted ManiacQuilter2 but I'm asking the author of this post.
    Please kindly tell me:
    I have not been well, but logged in to comment to this.
    Why would you question someone's reasons for selling their fabric?
    I have a lot of fabric I would like to sell bc I have health problems, too much stash
    now for my situation etc.
    I have nice stuff. I don't buy stuff that I think is ugly and when/if I am able to
    sell, it won't be at "new" prices.
    I am a fair person. I'm not offended, but I am hmm,...wasn't expecting anyone
    to think I or anyone had motives.
    I suppose there are those that resell stuff at a bit of a profit.
    Not my way of doing things, just need to downsize.
    Wish I had a healthy fairy to come help me put it online. I'm so tired and
    have never done it before, so a bit clueless as to how.