• Main
  • why is it so different? >
  • why is it so different?

• why is it so different?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
    Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    Oh and I forgot to add... every now and then when I was FMQ the machine would seem to catch on something and stop like it ran over a big heavy seam and got stuck but there wasn't anything there. Are the feed dogs swallowing my material? I had to break the thread and tug it out of the feed dogs. I'm worried it's going to rip a hole in one of my quilts.
    I have a Janome 6500 and have no problem FMQ on it. When I first started it did take me awhile to find "my sweet spot" (the speed and movement that works for you and your machine). I do adjust my speed, slide it to the middle, otherwise at high/fast I have the 'mini' stitches or loopies on the back when taking curves.

Is your machine in a cabinet or on the table with your acrylic around it. Before I got my cabinet (now have a nice flat surface for my machine and quilt), the weight of the quilt would get caught on the acrylic and would cause me some anger issues.

Feed dogs - well I have tried it both ways. But most of the time I have the FD's down.

The 6500 is wonderful for FMQ, but you have to "find you sweet spot".

Also I do wear 'Machingers' gloves (love them), they really help it moving my quilt around.

Good luck
    yeah I think i had it going to fast for sure at first. I slowed it down to med and it was much better but every now and then the bobbin would get stuck on the back of my quilt. I have seen a post here where someone said the bobbin thread gets caught on the feed dogs (even with them down) unless you have a seperate plate for it? I don't know...

Yeah i also told him the table was moving and annoying and he said "yeah it was walking away huh?" so i guess this is a common issue as well. I ended up taking it off last night and putting it aside lol it wasn't working.

I used the gloves too I love those! They really help me to control the quilt without so much stress from having to "push" on it so much!
    Forgot to ADD
    I use straight stitch needle plate when doing FMQ, it seems to work better than the regular/stander-ed plate.