Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why we have stash. >
  • Why we have stash.

• Why we have stash.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

I have fabrics that are too pretty to cut, I have fabrics that I have bought just because they were pretty and someday will wind up in a project. I have lots of vintage fabrics and I cannot bring myself to cut them up!
    Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 PM

I try hard not to buy too much fabric. I have one closet with shelves for "stash" and some overflow. I also have some containers that have planned quilts (all the fabrics but not patterns). But I am steering clear of fabric stores unless I just need something to go into something I'm working on. I do not want to be buried in fabric and some of it I'll get tired of before I even use it.

But, you're right, there are some you just can't seem to cut in to.
    Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM

That's why I look for patterns that use large pieces in the block, so that I can include as large a piece of the yardage as possible in one block. That way, I don't feel so bad about cutting. And also, I can try to use up some of this stash.
    Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM

I must be an atypical quilter. Most of the things I read on this board, and that many people seem to agree that they do the same things..I do not do. I don't have trouble cutting into fabric because it's pretty. Nor do I have tons of large pieces of fabric just sitting around. I do have stash but it is almost all small pieces left over from past projects. I have every intention of using all of it as soon as I finish making requested quilts for my family. I love scrap quilts so having a stash like mine is going to be a gold mine in the future. I can't wait to use it all up!
    Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 PM

would we be quilters if we didn't buy fabric? hard to know what came first-- having the desire for fabric or having the desire to quilt? Yes, I have fabric I've not been able to cut. I look at it every once and awhile and put it back!
    Old 07-01-2011, 10:36 PM

I have so much "pretty" stash that I refuse to cut, that I can open my own fabric store!!! Yikes!!!
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 AM

I used to, but not anymore. I'm trying to not have a stash. I'm tired of having all this fabric on shelves and then when it comes time to match something for a quilt, I either don't have enough or it's not the right shade. I end up buying more anyway so there the stash sits.
    I also like what's current to work on too. When I work on an older quilt kit that I put together, I have to be really careful not to cut wrong or make sure I have enough because the line is so old, they've retired the fabric line.
    So I love the pretty fabric and want to buy some to add to the stash but I have resisted since 2007 and it feels good.

Backing fabric is another story. If I find a good sale and I know it will work for a backing, yep, I buy it.

It's so easy to become addicted to fabric....I think we all love it!
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:17 AM

my "aging room" is full of fabric, but it is fun to find a pattern and go to your own "store" and find everything you need to make it without leaving the house.
    I used to hoard my batiks and "can't bear to cut" fabrics, I just find a pattern with larger designs for those special fabrics.
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:22 AM

i only have 6 pieces of fabric that i can't bring myself to cut.

they are vintage japanese obi fabrics and i just can't bring myself to cut them even though i purchased them specifically to cut up and turn into a wall hanging.

i have well over 1200 yards of fabric and i think i'm doing well if i only have about 5 yards i can't cut up.
    Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Tho my stash may not as large as others here it is getting too large for me. I have just starting cutting up items into jellyrolls, circles , etc. As I come across fabrics I don't care for anymore I am donating to a senior center & also met a gal who wants to make quilts but is really down on her luck.