Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • why you do not wash fabrics before cutting? >
  • why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

• why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 AM
    Power Poster

Because I am in a hurry to get cutting.
    Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 AM

I usually don't prewash for quilts. When I do prewash for quilts it is because of suspected bleeders, or sometimes I am just in the mood to prewash it and do the ironing. However, I always prewash for things that I want to lay flat - like table runners and wall hangings. I don't want those to get all pucker.
    Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I don't pre-wash pre-cuts. I'm too lazy to do the delicate work of trying to wash those babies without them fraying or distorting, so I just use them unwashed and cross my fingers when I toss it into the wash for the first time (with a wad of color catchers). So far I've been lucky, even when using batiks.

I also don't pre-wash things like canvas or random remnants I pick up for making tote bags - I consider those to be "utility" items so I don't really care if things run or shrink a bit as long as I can still drag my groceries around in it. I've also started a denim & fleece scrap quilt and I haven't been pre-washing either the denim or the fleece. It just didn't seem necessary. (Though a lot of the denim is from salvaged jeans, so very well pre-washed in that case, but some of it is new remnants which I have not been washing.)

I don't pre-wash wide backing fabric before stashing, either. I do pre-wash it just before I use it though, and I'm glad I do as I've had some pieces shrink quite a bit. (I wait to wash just before it'll be used so I don't have to FOLD the giant things!)

I wash most everything else, though, despite what a chore it is.
    I don't prewash anything except quilt backing. I love to see it flop in the breeze on a nice spring/summer morning. I love to stand there and iron it and cut off the fuzzies. That is relaxing for me. Sometimes I have a whole six lines of fabric flopping away and then the neighbors will say "Oh, JoAnn had a sale, huh? Or, "What are you making now?" It's also the neighborly thing to do!!!!!!!! End up having a cup of coffee, showing what I am working on or telling people how much fun it is to make quilts. I have gotten a couple started around here. That's is the only good thing about pre-washing. Not the little stuff - 1 yard or less.

I would give my eye teeth to be outside hanging up fabric out on the line right now. Edie
    Old 01-22-2015, 05:08 AM

As a garment maker, I always hated washing and ironing my fabrics before diving into my projects. My momentum would stall, so to speak. But if I wanted that outfit to fit, pre-washing was necessary.

Now that I quilt, I have learned not to prewash because the sizing in the fabric helps with accuracy of cutting and piecing. And then I got to thinking about the Prewash/non-prewash debate. Consider the clothes that we buy at the store. That fabric is not prewashed prior to garment construction. The first thing that we do when we get new clothes home is put them in the wash. When we buy clothes, we usually look at the fiber content to see if the clothes will shrink during the first wash and select the size according to that. Maybe that's how we need to approach quilting. We know the fabric will shrink, but do we allow for that by adding an extra row or border?
    Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 AM

I'm lazy too! In the beginning I used precuts which you can't wash, then I switched to batiks. I love the flatness of an unwashed fabric. I think it's easier to sew. It's not fun to iron and starch yardage. Although, I know some love it. Once I discovered the color catcher sheets, that was it. I have had only one fabric in about 5 years fade into another. It was a cheap solid red next to a white and faded when I used the steam iron. I tossed it all.
    Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 AM
    Power Poster

I don't prewash either and have never had any problems. If I think I have a bleeder I test some of it. I like the way the fabric off the bolt behaves. I am not a starcher/best press user although I have all of it. I also wash the completed quilt in the regular laundry, no special handling, after it is done and throw it in a dryer as the recipient would. I know they wouldn't do any special care, so I don't. I also don't have any chemical sensitivities. I'm trying to remember if any of my quilts have really shrunk up to be noticeable. I can't remember any that have although I haven't measured them. I use warm and natural batting and I do like the crinkly look after washing.
    Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Too lazy and hate to iron!!!
    Yea this is me and it would cut into my sewing time
    Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    Ironing yards and yards of wrinkled fabric is not my idea of a good time. I prefer to save that energy for pressing seams ;-)
    I agree!

I don't think that it makes a whit of sense to wash the sizing out of cotton fabric, deal with unknotting and cutting the unraveling edges after it comes out of the drier, get a pile of wrinkled stringy-edged fabric, and then spend a lot of time spraying some kind of starch concoction on it until it is just as stiff and regular as it was before...I did it on my first couple quilts because I was told it was the correct thing, then I wised up.

Why not wash it after the quilt is completed?
    Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM
    Swap Hosts

The answer is simple: laziness. I know I should, but when tempted to cut and sew, I often just don't want to be bothered with washing, drying, starching and ironing. All that time could have been spent on sewing.
    Old 01-22-2015, 06:34 AM

I don't wash anymore. I take a small piece of the fabric and wet it down, lay it on a white paper towel and if it bleeds, then I wash the excess color out of it. I don't do this with white or beige fabrics however. I used to wash and iron everything but not anymore, way too much fabric in my stash to do this each time.