Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt? >
  • Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt?

• Will this fabric work for a Stack and Whack Quilt?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    i'm wondering if some of us are talking about one block wonders & the others about stack & whack?

Farm Quilter, I just love that. I adore my book, but have not done one, yet.

Did you use the white stamens in the center of the pink flower anywhere? I looked, but did not see one.

Wonderful choice of detail! Amazing WHAM!
    There is almost no control over what you end up with when you cut for S-n-W. You just match up the pattern, pin and cut. Lovely surprises when you start playing with the cut pieces :thumbup:
    ========================================Is there a difference between OBW and Stack n whack????
    I have heard the hexagons referred to as both. Thanks for the definitions to come! :roll: :lol: 8-) :thumbup:
    Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 AM

It all comes down to what you like. It is a decison for you to choose and I personally think you should go with your gut's feeling and I know it will be beautiful. GO FOR IT.
    R
    Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Farm Quilter. hmm. Perhaps subsequent books just have you cut the fabric & take whatever happens. (hopefully, magic, if the right fabric has been chosen.) In my stack & whack book, you select fabric that has a huge, varied print. Then you layer six pcs exactly on the pattern. Then you fussy cut at the places you want your medallion (pinwheel, star, etc) (4 sq would be 4 layers) I just thot those stamens would be wow, is all.

This is my understanding of SAW.

My understanding of OBW is, same fabric layering, but you just cut strips, then units, whether 1/6 hex, 1/6 pinwheel, or 4 sq, and take whatever happens. I guess that is also a SAW, just without the fussy cuts???

Going by my 1st definition, is why I thought the first fabric would have some WOW choices.

Just definitions. Not being dogmatic, or know it all. (I hope.)

Feel free to nudge me toward a more clear understanding. :mrgreen:
    Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks. That's a good definition. I love both!
    Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM

And thank you to the 2501 of you who stopped by my site to take a look at the fabric. I don't know who you are, but I can tell that you were there looking! :-)[/quote]

And I keep going back. Gonna have to place an order. I love your site. :D :thumbup:
    Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    Farm Quilter. hmm. Perhaps subsequent books just have you cut the fabric & take whatever happens. (hopefully, magic, if the right fabric has been chosen.) In my stack & whack book, you select fabric that has a huge, varied print. Then you layer six pcs exactly on the pattern. Then you fussy cut at the places you want your medallion (pinwheel, star, etc) (4 sq would be 4 layers) I just thot those stamens would be wow, is all.

This is my understanding of SAW.

My understanding of OBW is, same fabric layering, but you just cut strips, then units, whether 1/6 hex, 1/6 pinwheel, or 4 sq, and take whatever happens. I guess that is also a SAW, just without the fussy cuts???

Going by my 1st definition, is why I thought the first fabric would have some WOW choices.

Just definitions. Not being dogmatic, or know it all. (I hope.)

Feel free to nudge me toward a more clear understanding. :mrgreen:
    My S-n-W was from the book "Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts" by Bethany Reynolds. I stacked mine 8 layers and cut squares first, then triangles. She suggests using large-scale prints and says to keep the background around the motifs in mind because "you will be whacking random sections of the print rather than precision cutting the motifs." She also recommends "the more distinct the colors are in the print, the more variety you will have in the finished blocks."

By fussy cutting the motifs, you would have more control of the finished blocks, but you would certainly waste a great deal of material.

I'd love to see a picture of your S-n-W!!!
    Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Oops, it wanted to post twice! Sorry :oops:
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    2 Dollar Store mirrors on short edge and duct taping the back to hold the 2 mirrors together. Duct tape because you can fold the mirrors on top of each other and the duct tape holds and holds. I then took 2 slightly larger than the mirror pieces of cardboard and did the same thing with the duck tape so now I have an envelope to put my mirrors in. I put the mirrors in the envelop and slide the whole thing into a 5 x 7 manilla envelope and fold the manilla envelope in half and viola! I have a safe way to carry the mirrors with little likelihood of breakage and it slips into my purse really easily so I have it when I go fabric shopping.

I was told in a class I took that the fabric repeat for a stack n whack should be about every 9 -13 inches.
    I applaud your homemade version...I am a handy gal myself. I used to work in inspection (industrial work) & they gave me plexiglass inspection mirrors which I still have & now use for this. They would not allow real glass there for safety reasons.

I am a big fan of second hand stuff & yard sales too...so when I read great ideas like these, they go on my yard sale shopping list. Some friends of mine have had a "party" where you had a list of items to find at a yard sale, & their were prizes for best finds, lowest paid, & quickest to be back. I didn't know them then...I would have loved it!

I appreciate the suggestion as to 9-13" repeat, I no idea what scale I should be looking for. Did this pertain to cutting the blocks a certain size? Thanks
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Of the two, the larger scale fabric is the better but IMHO a better OBW fabric has some straigtlines as well as curves in the pattern. The fabrics you've chosen, though pretty, does not have enough deffinition. The motifs will all look too similar. With straight lines as well as curves in the pattern the motifs seem to come out as either circles (with the curved places in the pattern) or stars (with the straight places in the pattern.) I made a OBW with a Tiki (straight lines) /palm tree (curves) patterned fabric and opening each motif was a delight.. Each was different. Good luck.
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KPALM
    Of the two, the larger scale fabric is the better but IMHO a better OBW fabric has some straigtlines as well as curves in the pattern. The fabrics you've chosen, though pretty, does not have enough deffinition. The motifs will all look too similar. With straight lines as well as curves in the pattern the motifs seem to come out as either circles (with the curved places in the pattern) or stars (with the straight places in the pattern.) I made a OBW with a Tiki (straight lines) /palm tree (curves) patterned fabric and opening each motif was a delight.. Each was different. Good luck.
    Could youp lease show us some pics of yours?
    ... both the virgin fabric and the OBW results?

Please? and Thanks!