Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage? >
  • Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

• Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I don't think the heat would affect the fabric at all for that short period of time. What would worry me more is the family seeing all those boxes!

You can scrounge cardboard boxes from stores, but it's a whole lot easier to simply buy boxes as then you can get all the same size so they stack easily. Walmart has some sizes; storage places and moving stores (such as U-Haul) have a lot more sizes but charge quite a bit per box (as I recall, $4-5). If you have time, join a Freecycle list (Google Freecycle to find one for your area) and post a request there for moving boxes.

Alternatively, you can buy plastic boxes at Walmart. I like to store my fabric in clear plastic boxes that stack easily, but you may want to look at opaque boxes so the family cannot see the fabric.

Be careful not to get huge boxes, as fabric becomes very heavy. Even for permanent storage, I prefer smaller boxes because I can move them around much more easily.

Personally, I would find smaller boxes, find a spot in the garage, and move all the fabric by myself when no one is home.
    The heat will be fine.....no problems. Moisture is more of a concern if your area is humid like mine, but again, for just a few weeks, I think you're fine. Boxes are available at my local Home Depot for just over $1 apiece. I recently needed some boxes and those were the cheapest I could find. Smaller is better though!
    Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 AM

Angelinamarie: I love your name. It was my mother's name. Sigh. I miss her so. Sorry.

I suggest that you go to Wal Mart and reserve boxes. You may ask for all same size. When marking the boxes, I would mark "under bed 1" etc., shelf in room ?, bookshelf 1, etc. This way the word "fabric" is not on any of the boxes. What I did for my oldest daughter when she lost her apartment and we filled our basement with at least 100 boxes (which she had labeled) I marked them with numbers and then took photographs of the stack. You might want to put numbers (LARGE) on each box, photograph the box and then keep a list (for you only) of what is in each box and where it came from. Good luck. Everything will work out okay. Husband's need something to complain about. At least the boxes aren't your boyfriends. LOL
    Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by StephT
    Do you have a friends house you can hide some boxes?... Or rent a storage shed for a month.
    I agree with the friend's house....several friends if need be. It will avoid a lot of conflict. Pick up cardboard boxes if you have to and label them. A friend's basement would be ideal. Then you can bring it all back when no one is home. This would work for me...unless you really want to see how much you have and how much more you don't really need.
    Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM

One concern I didn't see addressed as I scanned previous responses. MICE...We had to store our household because the builder fell behind and the mice got into my fabric in one cabinet. We'd decided that we'd leave the fabric in the drawers 4 drawers (fat quarters). Wasn't stored long enough for them to do damage as in chewing, but the buggers left calling cards, I had to wash and disinfect.
    Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 AM
    Power Poster

mice and bugs can be a problem - - -
    Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM

This is your golden opportunity to organize your stash so you can find anything at any time.

I have fabric in my shed (which is built of wood and has a good floor and roof and walls), which does get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I was also concerned, but it's been there a couple years and has not been harmed. It is in cardboard Banker's boxes, bought from Staples, and each box has a clearly labeled, tightly sealed white trash bag around it in case of pests. My fabric is by color on the color wheel, that is, yellow, yellow-orange, orange, etc. I turn the box on it's side and load the fabric so that I see the folded crease of the fabric and therefore see all fabrics when I take the lid off. For my fabric, it is on shelves that are labeled with the color as per the color wheel. So if I need a blue-violet, for instance, I go to the blue-violet area of the shelves and find maybe three boxes. I check them and usually find what I need.

Since you are concerned about your family's reactions, you could do this sorting and packing when they are not around. You might mix the boxes in with other boxes if you feel the need to hide them. Then have a plan for where to put them after the carpeting. You could also find someone with a huge stash and show them, and compared to that stash, yours would be small.

You could put a big tent up in your back yard and use it either for storage of general household stuff or make a "room" for your family through the carpeting.
    Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM

The garage will not get as hot as the normal heat in a clothes dryer. As others have pointed out, it's the humidity and any possibility of critters that cause some concern. If there is a lot of wildlife in the area, particularly if you have pet food in the garage, bugs or rodents might turn up there that you'd never see in your house. Plastic bins with tight lids would be my preferred way of storing fabric for a few weeks. Vacuumed plastic bags are costly and are too easily gnawed through. Besides, vacuuming them would be a time-consuming extra step for you.

We live in an area with high humidity and lots of wildlife, and the garage would not work for me. When we first moved here in 1974 we put boxes of books and old pictures in the attic, a terrible mistake!
    Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM

If Mama ain't Happy - ain't nobody Happy!

Make the sign and post it.

All above suggestions are great: luggage, truck of car, empty drawers, boxes, ... keep us posted.
    Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Just moved and both lowes & home depot have the small boxes (book size) for under a $1.00. these get quite heavy with fabric
    Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 PM

The whole length of both sides of my garage are shelved with garment fabric. I live in central Florida, so it is extremely hot in there. I have had some fabrics for 30 years and they are still fine. I don't keep them in plastic, just shelved with a cover draped over the front of them.