Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt >
  • Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt

• Will I be able to quilt a queen size quilt

Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM

I did SID on a king size with a Designer 1. Once was enough..........my shoulders and wrists were so very sore.........and I was 14 years younger. As time passed I did do a twin, now I am down to lap size.....
    Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 AM

You can do it. I quilted several queen size and a king size with a machine that had a 7" harp. Just be very patient. Spoiler alert: You will want a machine with a larger harp when you are done. Skip the 9" and 11" machines and go straight to the 16" (at least). I now have an 11" harp for piecing and a Babylock Tiara II for quilting. Love them both.
    Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 AM

My first quilt was a twin and I did the quilting with a little Brother PC-420. I wouldn't have been able to do it if I have not enrolled the Craftsy class named Machine quilt big project on your home sewing machine. The instructor shows you several ways to work (separating your batting as suggested above is one way). It may be worth looking, if you are a visual kind of person.
    Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM

That's a beautiful quilt! I love your colors and contrast and the borders. Good luck with the quilting on your DSM! My only advice, in addition to what others have given you, is make sure your table (which holds your machine if it's portable) and your chair are the right height. It will save you lots of shoulder aches! Also, your hands will get slick and won't want to move the quilt, so gardening gloves or actual quilting gloves will help. Others will know more about these (I've never used gloves but I understand the theory) or lotion on hands to give your fingers some tension.
    Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

I did a king SITD on a mechanical Brother XR-58. I started in the middle and worked out. At times it was a challenge, but certainly doable.
    Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM

There is a craftsy class that shows you three different methods for quilting a large sized quilt on a small machine. I have a 9" harp and just finished a CA King sized quilt on it. You can find the class on this page. http://www.craftsy.com/instructors/ann-petersen
    Old 04-13-2015, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

I machine quilted a king size quilt, 110" x 110", on my Sears Kenmore several years ago, and many queen and a king size quilt on my Singer (burned out my Kenmore-not happy when I saw smoke coming out of my sewing machine), then my Janome 4000, and I have had good luck, although I didn't do anything fancy, mainly straight line stitching and SID. I even did a full size quilt for our DGD with many, many appliqued flowers, pinwheels, as well as the pinwheel blocks, etc. My DS, DDIL and DGD were really happy with it, so all the times I grumbled (certainly that wasn't me, maybe that was my alter quilter) were worth it when my DGD, jumped up to give me a big hug and kiss, telling me she loved it very, very much. I had pieced the quilt right before having a torn rotator cuff replaced, and quilted it afterwards, just in time for Christmas. So I say yes, you can quilt a queen size quilt on your machine. I generally start in the center, work my way out to the borders, then turn the quilt around and do it again. Just take your time and I'm sure you will do fine. By the way, I used W&N batting, which I think helped. Just FYI, I attended a lecture at my local guild from a quilt teacher who said that she starts on the outside and worked her way in. She said that if your quilt is properly basted, you should be able to start anywhere to machine quilt. Take your time, enjoy the process and I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM

If you google Leah Day you will see that she FMQ's on home machines. I have done it on my Viking Designer 1--not knowing to do it in 4ths and it was doable. I did not fan fold--I did Leah Day's scrunch method. There are Craftsy classes--especially the one by Ann Peterson who shows how to do FMQ on a domestic machine.
    Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by wingrider
    I quilt queen/king size on a Viking Sapphire 870Q and the setup that has made it a joy to machine quilt is the pulley type clamps hung from the ceiling. http://pieceocakeblog.com/2013/09/22...pulley-system/. .
    I use the Jenoop Quilt Suspenders that I purchased online--it does not hang from the ceiling and is made of PVC pipe--I debated just buying the parts and making it myself which I know others have done and it is lots cheaper but I am very happy with it and have bought corner pieces so that I can use it around corners of my table--I might need another tube for a corner post but so far it has worked great.
    Old 04-14-2015, 12:52 PM
    Power Poster

I read all of your ideas on quilting on my home machine. I will remember these ideas. I have done a lap size, but will need to do the queen size unless I hand quilt.

Thanks for all the ideas on this subject.