Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will my quilts ever get better? >
  • Will my quilts ever get better?

• Will my quilts ever get better?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM

They will get better with time and more practice. I have been sewing since I was a child. My first project was a rag doll my mom helped me sew I think I was about 6 or 7. Later my grandma "watched" (and answered questions when I got stuck) me sew a dress when I was 12. My first projects weren't great they were a beginning. That's what you need to keep in mind your first projects are the beginning of your quilting story not the ending.
    Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Honey try not to compare your quilts to others or you will become discouraged. I'm not that good either but I look at others as possibilities. Some day when I grow up I want to quilt like they do. I'm 42, just so you know and have been quilting for over 5 years and I am just now seeing improvements in the last 7 months thanks to these wonderful men and women on this board. Just keep at it and your quilts will start to blossom into beauties.
    Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Are there any classes you can take? Skill building classes can help tremendously. Check with your LQS to see if they offer anything like that.

If you don't belong to a quilt group, sometimes they can also be very helpful. Is there a quilting friend near you that you can have come over and sew together? I'm sure each of you would learn something from each other. :)

Don't be discouraged, you said yourself that you're seeing improvement so you're going in the right direction. :thumbup:
    Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 AM

One of the things I have learned here and elsewhere. We are our own worse critic.
    Take a deep breathe. Relax. and lets go sew something.
    Life is a journey. So is sewing. As is anything we attempt.
    My mom said a seamstress gave her a secret to sewing many years ago. " Pressing. Not ironing. The seams will make them lay flatter so they sew up better." It will make the points show up and line up so much easier.
    So will having a consistent seam.
    (( Hugs.)) One step at a time.
    Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Most of us feel that way when we see the gorgeous quilts others have done. It can be discouraging when you compare your work with that of someone else. Compare with yourself rather than others. Try to recognize the improvement you've made in each quilt. Quilting is the same as anything else you want to learn. It takes practice, practice, practice. You learn to crawl before you walk, and how to walk before you run. And last of all, you're probably your worst critic.
    I agree, I feel the same way, but as QuiltsRfun states, I try to improve on myself, not on others work. I keep challenging myself to do each quilt better than the last.
    Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Quilting is a learning process!
    I find that most quilters make a quilt then move on to another pattern. which is good and bad!
    everything is much easier the 2nd time around!
    if you have problems with a pattern make another of the same
    chances are that after the 2nd quilt you will be good at that pattern #1!
    and then will take what you have learned on to parts of pattern #2!

we have all been there and most of us have been quilting for more years thatn we would like to admit!
    Don't give up!!
    we are here to help!
    Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 AM

Ask your self why you quilt? For fun, pleasure, enjoyment . Then ask what did I learn from my last quilt? keep a journal. You will be astonished in your progress. The frist quilt I made is so badly sewn I put it away for a while. :oops: Now I am using it to practice on with my long arm. When I am through I will use it a utility quilt. To tell you how bad it is, I will have to square it up. but I have learned so must and I have so much to learn. If you have a problem just yell for help and I bet you will get answer here.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I have made a few quilts now, and I love doing it. But they still aren't near as good as some of the quilts I see on here. .!
    I feel the same way. Not necessarily about my tops but about my quilting. I don't stress over it, though. I don't compare, but I know the quilting isn't up to par. BUT, I quilt strictly for my own pleasure and enjoyment. I give quilts to people that don't quilt and they enjoy them. I do wish I was better at it. I don't want it to be a chore.
    Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM

You will get better over time with practice. Keep going with it, dont give up and dont compare with others. The first class I took someone who worked at the store came in ( uninvited) and started to critique our lap quilts. When she came to mine I told her I didnt want to hear it. It was a bit wonky, points didnt meet, and she didnt like the yellow color I put in for a bit of interest. She went on ahead and said what was wrong with it. I quilted it anyway, put on the binding, wrong I might add, as we didnt get to that part before the class was over, and I finished it after her scathing review. It now hangs in my kitchen as a reminder of how far I have come since starting. Also, when I look at it, I dont see the mistakes, I see my first quilt and I love it. Be easy on yourself, this is fun, and when we get finished, we have something beautiful because we put our effort in every stitch.
    Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Practice makes perfect. I challenge myself to do perfect points. I find if I slow down and think before sewing, I won't have to un-sew.