Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will my quilts ever get better? >
  • Will my quilts ever get better?

• Will my quilts ever get better?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM

I'm sure they're much nicer than you realize. I've just started piecing, and mine get better with each quilt block. I'm taking some classes that help so much! And there are many tutorials on youtube that might help you.
    Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Yes, they will. As far as mine, I really didn't think they could get any worse!!! I am doing pretty good now. Most of all, I enjoy creating what I call my masterpieces! Just keep at it.
    Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Stephanib123, I have to echo ckcowl.
    I decided I want to be as perfect 'as possible', and HOPEFULLY, achieve a "museum qualtity" quilt....(whatever that means.) That means to me....the best quality I can achieve...the recipients are always WOWed!
    Old 07-21-2010, 07:20 PM

Yes you will become better. Take your time sewing the 1/4" seam allowance, cut carefully, use a dry iron and don't use thick machine quilting thread in your sewing machine. I made this mistake and couldn't figure out why all of my pattern was off until I mentioned to someone that the only thing I did differently was use the thick thread. Problem solved.....

I am also very critical of my work. Always trying to point out the flaws in my quilts. My husband say I make beautiful quilts and said I should enter contests. My sister says the same thing. My work has improved within the two years since I began. If I have a question about something, I ask or look on this site for the answer.

No quilter will discourage you or make you feel bad about your work. There's a lot to learn. Keep trying even if you make the same pattern over and over again using different color choices. I promise you it will become easier and you will then want to tackle another pattern. There are many many shortcuts to patterns that will blow your mind! I am learning some of them and want to test my hand at those too.

Keep a photo album of your quilts. It is a quick visual to seeing how your work has improved. Besides, once you start making a lot, you will want to keep track of whom you gave them too. I have a photo album and my grandkids want to look at it all the time. They even point out who got my quilts and they are sharp enough to spot theirs.

It's a process and you should enjoy it no matter how long it takes you. Over time, you will get a little faster and become more accurate. But most of all, love what your'e doing. I do and it makes every quilt I complete that more special.

I have 4 quilts in the making and they are all going to family. Post your pictures so we can see your progress.

Take care and enjoy quilting.
    Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM

I have learned over the years that what other people think of me is none of my business. Do you enjoy quilting? Do you love picking out the pattern and the fabrics? Does your heart beat a little faster when a new idea darts through your mind? Do people love to see your quilts? These are the things that matter, not what anyone else thinks or may say. There are so many quilters on this board ready and eager to help us get better at quilting. Search the tutorials on the board. I had to resort to using Thangles to get my HSTs to match, now I don't need them anymore. I haven't attempted circles either but I am not going to let them beat me and neither are you. Hugs to you and keep on quiltin'
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 AM

You are very lucky to have a family to accept your sewing with some mistakes, I am not so lucky, but I do have two wonderful friends who are very supportive. They are both very experienced quilters and I love them dearly. And it does get better with more experience. My husband has also told me that when I get really nervous and "mess up" when singing for the Lord that you NEVER "mess up". You give it your best and let the Lord lead you in ALL you do, just turn it over to him. I also have learned that I can't "fly" through making my quilts, I've had to slow down and if I see a mistake and can fix it, I do, and if I can't, well, that's ok too.
    Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 AM

We are our worst critics, I bet your quilting is as good as anyone elses. We all make mistakes when we sew, some of us are just a bit better at covering them up then others. There is no such thing as perfection, if I am happy with it, mistakes or not, it is perfect!
    Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM

Will I ever get "good"? I still cant do good triangle points, and wouldn't dream of tackling a circle!

Oh please do not feel that way!!! We all started at the same place you are right now. With each project you will get better. If your triangles don't match, try thangles or something similar. You put two pieces together, sew on the marked lines then cut apart. Perfect triangles squares. You will get better with each project.
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 AM

Any baby falls down multiple times before being able to stand and walk. Same with this. I've been quilting for 15+yrs and sewing for atleast 45yrs. I still rip and redo!! Just one of those things. I'm still learning too. The one thing that you'll realize once you've been into this for a while is no one knows everything, because there is sooooo much from past and present changing the ways to do something. That's why this type of board is invaluable!!!

I've just recently found a picture of the 1st quilt I did and (boy, I wish the picture came out good enough to post) I thought what was I thinking!!!! OMG!!

If you're having problems with your HST's then instead of cutting them 7/8" bigger, cut them an 1" or 1 1/4" instead and then shape them up afterwards. A lot of individuals do it this way. Or here's a site that you can use to do multiples that might assist you also.

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

Also, Rhonda has a way of doing HST's for her minitures that could be adjusted for any size. Check out her tutes!!!
    Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 AM

My grandmother always told me, "The more we sew, the more we grow," in reference to becoming a better seamstress. And that can apply to anything we do, not just sewing. So don't fret about how poor you think your quilts are, just keep trying and one day you will be amazed at how much improved your quilting has gotten. And it is easy to forget there is a wide range of sewing/quilting experience on this board, so you may see one quilt from a newbie while another is from someone who has 25+ years of quilting behind them.