Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will my quilts ever get better? >
  • Will my quilts ever get better?

• Will my quilts ever get better?

Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 AM

You will get better as long as you want to improve.
    With quilting its important to be precise in cutting, stitching, pressing, and keeping everything squared up
    everytime as you piece. And its important to use good fabric. Cheap thin fabric can make a quilt look poorly made. Quilting is not for one who is nonchalant about being precise. It takes time to learn all the aspects of piecing and theres always new tecniques to learn.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I have made a few quilts now, and I love doing it. But they still aren't near as good as some of the quilts I see on here. I'm learning all the time, and I do see some improvement from one to the next, but that's not saying much when they were crappy to begin with!

Will I ever get "good"? I still cant do good triangle points, and wouldn't dream of tackling a circle!

I have always done my own quiliting, mostly by hand, but I have some bigger quilts in the works, and honestly, I am afraid to send them off to be quilted. I am afraid "they" will think my quilts are too terrible to even quilt!
    Well, I think you can rest assured that no quilter is going to comment on how well or how poorly your top is done-- It helped me in the early days to remember the old saying about if it looks good to a rider going past on a horse, it is GOOD. Happy quilting.
    Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Believe me, we all started where you are! I learned tips from other quilters and from reading tons of quilting magazines and websites with free tutorials and tips...but mostly by practicing!!! Keep going and keep it simple until you have your technique perfected, then branch out. I am by no means a "master quilter" and we all have room to grow. What would be the fun of quilting if we were all perfect??? There would be no uniqueness, is that a word? :)
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 AM

Repeat after me. "There are no quilt police, there are no quilt police, there are no quilt police!" Yes, you will definitely get better, but I am sure that the people who see your quilts would be amazed to hear that you are even worried that you are not good now! I had almost given up hope of ever being able to sew an accurate 1/4 inch seam when all of a sudden one day, I could just do it much better. I do not yet machine quilt because I've been scared to try it for three years. Now I'm working up my courage and am going to give it a go. I know it won't be much to begin with, but I quilt for my pleasure, so anyone who makes disparaging remarks about my work needn't think they will be getting a quilt from me!
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:38 AM

all I can say is starch starch starch starch. it will help emensly with getting good lines. I have two identical quilts (done in different colors) and you can really tell the difference in them with how well they have come out. One I starched and one i didn't. I am making a third in the same pattern and this one I starched from the beginning and there is a major difference in how well the fabric came out.
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 AM

sahm4605...I have never starched. Please tell me more. Do you mean the old fashioned spray starch my mom used years ago? Do you spray before you cut your pieces, after you iron seams, or when the whole quilt top is done??? Does the starch gum up your needle or machine?
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 AM

At quilt shows or displays I would be so depressed comparing my quilts to the beautiful art quilts, even tho people who received my quilts seemed to enjoy them and used them constantly.
    Then one day a light bulb moment-I'm not an artist & never will be but I enjoy running a sewing machine & making bright simple quilts that are used everyday & people aren't afraid of using them & throwing them in the washer & dryer, babies spit up on them (or worse), the cat gets cuddled in them, they quilts go on picnics or the beach. So that makes me happy.
    Maire
    Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM

This message board has been the best thing that has happened for my quilting improvement! When I look at the first quilts I made I'm embarrassed to think about how proud of them I was even when the pieces didn't match up! At the time I didn't even notice that but going to a quilt show I realized how much help I needed! Still haven't reached the stage of wanting a seasoned quilter to see my accomplishments but at least I've learned to take my time, be precise in cutting and sewing and most of the pieces do line up!
    Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
    Will I ever get "good"? I still cant do good triangle points, and wouldn't dream of tackling a circle!

Oh please do not feel that way!!! We all started at the same place you are right now. With each project you will get better. If your triangles don't match, try thangles or something similar. You put two pieces together, sew on the marked lines then cut apart. Perfect triangles squares. You will get better with each project.
    I have found those "tips" for making triangles where you stitch them in pairs, sewing on both sides of the diagonal, and cut them apart...they are oversized, and I have room to square them up to an accurate block size....(no eaten points) I find great relief in being a Novice Quilter....I have been quilting for about 6 years now, and am still struggling with that ever elusive 1/4" seam....and I have FINALLY learned to press...lightly...I can distort my blocks with heavy handed pressing. Starch has helped to stabilize my work, and I cut accurately. When I began, I bought the Yellow Brick Road pattern, and sewed one for all the kids it seems...LOL Now, I mostly work on small Floor Quilts for kids, and gosh knows--they aren't very critical...they are cross-eyed looking at that wonderful striped fabric that I added for that inner border...LOL No--I have not yet put together a quilt that is set on the diagonal, and I have not yet tried a scalloped border...but I am in it for the long haul...and I find that in working on donation quilts that are small, and given away to someone who will especially appreciate it, I am able to really enjoy my quilting--all the while learning as I go! You might try some block swaps...a lot of repetition on one pattern will give you a chance to see how they are going together....I like block swaps for that reason alone! ALSO...I finally figured out why my Juki will not easily produce an accurate 1/4" seam. It is because of the large opening at the feed dog site that allows for the siz-zag stitch and some of those other fancy stitches...the feed dogs pull my fabric further to the left....giving me a larger seam allowance...(and I thought it was me..lol) So I am going to buy a single needle throat plate for that machine for when I am piecing...that one only took me about 5 years to figure out...LOL Just hang with these gals--they are a wonderful, kind and talented group that will always share and encourage you on!! I think that I am going to be making sets of placemats for Christmas gifts...small and easily tamed, giving me a chance to survey my work and figure out my weak spots... Mostly...I just love fabric and color....I refuse to give up the one thing that I truly enjoy, and do just for me! (so let them eat cake...or banana bread!) I hope that the pooch has made it home by now...Bless you!
    Andy
    Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 AM

When I look back on my first quilt I wonder how the darn thing ever got put together. It is a sampler that is still in use about 25 yrs later. It has held together (so i consider that pretty amazing). As I complete each quilt I've learned new techniques; some have been repeated, some I will NEVER do again. But each quilt has been an experience that has been amazing; picking patterns, fabrics, time spent. Enjoy!!!