Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will my quilts ever get better? >
  • Will my quilts ever get better?

• Will my quilts ever get better?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 AM

"I am afraid "they" will think my quilts are too terrible to even quilt!"

The only reason I would give a quilt back to a customer for a "fix" before quilting is if the borders are wavy to the point where I would have to make tucks either in the border or the backing to get the quilt something close to square.

Be a little patient with yourself - no one pieces like Judy Niemeyer when they first start quilting! We all have pointless stars and headless flying geese...if you really want a "perfect" quilt, you have to commit to ripping out every seam that isn't perfect, every time. I have re-sewn a seam 4 or 5 times, still could not get it right and finally said to heck with it! I'm lacking a bit in the patience department on my piecing, so I figure that if you can't see the "problem" from the back of a galloping horse... Sometimes you just have to live with less than perfection.

Now when it comes to longarm quilting...I have tons of patience and will pick out stitches as often as necessary to achieve as close to perfection as possible. Guess I must prefer to stand to pick out stitches instead of sitting with my feet up :roll:
    Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 AM

I spent 3 years quilting and making mistakes as I was not shown the correct way just did it my way. Then 1year ago I met a frien 'Angie Blog' who introduced me to you tube and hersself. Also the tutorials are great here. It does take time but you need to know the essential as to what it should be like. also Elearnor Burns TV shows helped. I didnt Know if doing 2inch squares the seams must match!!!
    Thick or what. You tube is addicti8ve as are the tutorials here. Enjoy.
    Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 AM

What you don't know is that those "Perfect" quilts may have been ripped apart many times to get matching seams. The special rulers or templates really do help. It's OK to make pot holders for yourself or for gifts to learn some of the piecing tricks, who couldn't use some more pot holders?. If you can't find the help you need here, get a good quilting book that covers everything from fabric selection to binding. Above all, know that your quilting is improving from the first project and there is always someone here to suggest another way. Just keep quilting!
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:57 PM
    Banned

I keep waiting for mine to get better to. I have not been quilting that long, but I don't see much of a improvement on my doll quilts. I am getting ready to start the farmers wives, and I am a little worried I wont do a good job. So I no were your comming from. God bless. Penny
    Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM

We are all getting better by the day...as quilters and as people. And the one helps the other.
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM

I hope you get this message because I'm very new at this message board business. I'm a novice quilter. I really enjoyed using the Yellow Brick Road pattern. I found it very relaxing to do. No triangles. Please try finding the pattern. I didn't get it free on any "free" sites, however the money I spent for it was well worth it. I'll use it over and over, I'm sure. Good luck and I hope you enjoy working the pattern and its outcome as much as I did.
    Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty
    I keep waiting for mine to get better to. I have not been quilting that long, but I don't see much of a improvement on my doll quilts. I am getting ready to start the farmers wives, and I am a little worried I wont do a good job. So I no were your comming from. God bless. Penny
    Quilting is an art and you cannot make mistakes with art.
    A mistake is an opportunity to be different.
    Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:47 AM
    Banned

BE HAPPY AND LIVE WITH WHAT YOU DO.
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Remember they are your quilts. If you like them thats ok.
    what others may think.
    Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    Originally Posted by penny doty
    Quilting is an art and you cannot make mistakes with art.
    A mistake is an opportunity to be different.
    Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.
    Thank you for the words of incorragement. God bless. Penny