Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Will these sell. >
  • Will these sell.

• Will these sell.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM
    Power Poster

Try to advertise, spread the word about the sale to local guild, quilt shops, even Joanne’s ( the Joanne’s near me has a bulletin board you can put fliers on.
    Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

Good luck on your sale, carol. It sure looks like something that would perk my interest at five bucks a bag.
    Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM

I would advise taping them you are going to get people trying to take them apart to see what's in there.
    Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    I would advise taping them you are going to get people trying to take them apart to see what's in there.
    I second this... also, if there is a chance they will be in the sun, or come from a cool location to a warmer one, I would put a couple "breather" holes in each bag, otherwise they may end up showing a condensation inside, even though they weren't damp or anything....
    Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Good luck. I'd go with the advice of $5 / bag, and $15/4 to attract those quilters who love a bargain, which is I imagine all of them. And the half price mark down should be good. It will even be good to put up a sign that says, "Whatever is left after 1 pm will be half price." Yard sales usually have lots of visitors early in the day. You can get shoppers to return if you say items will be discounted in the afternoon.
    Old 05-24-2019, 03:16 PM
    Power Poster

Good luck with her sale.
    Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sue.ross.8782
    Good luck. I'd go with the advice of $5 / bag, and $15/4 to attract those quilters who love a bargain, which is I imagine all of them. And the half price mark down should be good. It will even be good to put up a sign that says, "Whatever is left after 1 pm will be half price." Yard sales usually have lots of visitors early in the day. You can get shoppers to return if you say items will be discounted in the afternoon.
    Or everyone may leave without buying anything in the morning, LOL.

As a scrap quilter, I would prefer to fill my own bag rather than buy bags that are already stuffed. I like to feel the fabric before I'm buying, or know the brand, which isn't usually possible with scraps. However, since the bags are already stuffed, I would leave them that way. If they aren't selling at all, either lower the price or take the fabrics out so people can paw through it. I don't go to a lot of garage sales, but the last one I attended was charging $4/yard for quilt store quality fabric.
    Old 05-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Agreed that you should advertise in such a way as to draw quilters because the general population won't be interested and you've put a lot of effort into sorting, measuring and bagging.

If I were yard saling, I'd think $5/gallon bag a good deal, but $15/4 would make me snag 4 if there was a big selection. Later in the day (after 12:30) I would expect a better bargain, say $2.50/bag or 5 for $10. But I would not tell anyone the prices will be lower after 12:30 or they'll take their chances and might not come back at all.
    Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    When I was the "craft lady" at the local thrift shop, I found that stapling the bags shut with several staples across top works much better than tape. People would tear the tape off , pull the scraps out, and make a huge mess. They tended not to open the bags if stapled. Go figure!

And, yes, the bags sell very well!
    Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 AM

We sell quart size bags at our shop for $1.25. Are there 4 quarts to a gallon? That totals $5.00.