Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WIP List >
  • WIP List

• WIP List

Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM

I used to show and breed Cocker Spaniels. That "hobby" has become way too expensive with that particular breed in this economy.
    Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
    I used to show and breed Cocker Spaniels. That "hobby" has become way too expensive with that particular breed in this economy.
    It's much the same here. I don't show, I collect dogs with "special needs", but I have several friends in the breeding/show world, and they're all noticing the pinch. Even with the more popular and the rare breeds things are tight.
    Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM

If you really do it right breeding now could but some serious financial hurt on you. All the genetic testing, DNA, microchips and vet bills the list goes on there. Then with a heavily coated breed like the cocker you really have to have an expert groomer and handler to keep them in a "show coat".
    So...working full time to spend thousands a month on showing/breeding or work part time and have time to quilt and spend with family without a grooming brush and clipper in my hand...no contest!
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I MIGHT finish one today! Neighbour's lap quilt, just needs binding. I meant to do it yesterday but started quilting the cushion tops I made for our bed instead (first time I used wool batting and it's LOVELY!!!)
    I think I'm putting off finishing my neighbour's quilt because I'm afraid to give it to her. What if she hates it? She's the type who'll say so. She's a lovely lady BUT a straight talking country woman. Help, I'se scared! Pathetic, right?!

K x
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    I MIGHT finish one today! Neighbour's lap quilt, just needs binding. I meant to do it yesterday but started quilting the cushion tops I made for our bed instead (first time I used wool batting and it's LOVELY!!!)
    I think I'm putting off finishing my neighbour's quilt because I'm afraid to give it to her. What if she hates it? She's the type who'll say so. She's a lovely lady BUT a straight talking country woman. Help, I'se scared! Pathetic, right?!

K x
    I get the same feeling towards the end if it's for someone else. What if they hate it. What if they hate it and say so. What if they hate it and DON'T say so! lol
    You know her best, is it her colour tastes?
    Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Swan Song
    If you really do it right breeding now could but some serious financial hurt on you. All the genetic testing, DNA, microchips and vet bills the list goes on there. Then with a heavily coated breed like the cocker you really have to have an expert groomer and handler to keep them in a "show coat".
    So...working full time to spend thousands a month on showing/breeding or work part time and have time to quilt and spend with family without a grooming brush and clipper in my hand...no contest!
    Yep, that's pretty much what people are saying here too. A lot of animals are getting dumped at the moment, people just can't afford to keep them. So it's crazy to bring more into the world.
    Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Blue, I've been ogling her linen on the clothes line for a while and I think it's her taste! :D

I haven't been past the kitchen in her house (that's very French BTW!) but typical th French country 'look' is earthy colours and florals so I've gone for browns and creamy yellow with some burgundy floral prints. I don't really like it myself, but I hope she does. :?

K x
    Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

K x
    Your neighbor will love that quilt for she is tough on the outter side due to her upraising and background...it is protection:)Finish that quilt and look her in the eye when you give it!:)Just report to us...we now have to know the end of the story:)LOL She will appreciate your hard work!! Skeat...who wants to try that wool batting...do you have to prewash that?OR is it ready to roll when you buy it??
    Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I hung the batting over the bannisters for about a week and all the creases fell out - no pre washing! Its so light and soft and really lofty but quilts like a dream!

K x
    Old 04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
    I hung the batting over the bannisters for about a week and all the creases fell out - no pre washing! Its so light and soft and really lofty but quilts like a dream!

K x
    k, you got that 6600 yet? woo hoo, I can't wait till you do...you may still do a lot of hand stuff, but it will lure you to do more on machine...just, you said quilts like a dream...and made me want to go hug my machine!!! I am in love! :P
    oh, and Skeat's right about how to give your neighbor, your gift. My, but you are such a giving person! I don't think you sleep, lol. Sounds great to me. She may be a straight shooter, but probably not that rude,...and if she is...after you tell us the end of the story, we'll come on over, and straighten her out...we'll think of something that doesn't come back on you, lol!
    Lots of stories been written about hard nosed ppl that were melted by kindness. Maybe she's been alone too long, or secretly insecure and has a hard shell on outside. We'll be with you in spirit when you go over there. hugs, C