Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wish Me Luck >
  • Wish Me Luck

• Wish Me Luck

Old 07-09-2011, 05:22 AM

It's so hard when you have to leave a place you love and end up in a place that you truly can't stand (ask me how I know), even worse when you lose your creative space. Could you possibly use one of those sturdy white plastic tables from Sam's or Lowes? Mine is 2'W X 3'L and has adjustable heights. I take it with me when I travel with my FW. Hope this helps. I think you would be better able to deal with the change in locale if you could sew again.
    Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Wanda, Check with your LQS and see if they will let you set up in their classroom to sew. I know that yarn shops are now providing spaces where a customer may sit and knit. Why not a LQS. Maybe you could volunteer to help them for using their space. Good luck! I would be lost without a place to sew. Yolanda Wood River
    Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 AM

Wanda,
    My folks had a 38' travel trailer they would come and spend the summer with me as where they lived was really hot. My mom is an avid sewer so she brought her sewing machine and had a white fold up table that her machine fit on. A piece of plywood that her cutting matt fit on(that slid under the bed when not in use). A small hanging thread holder that she used for thread, rulers, tape measure and rotary cutter. While not
    what we would call ideal, it gave her the set up she needed for her favorite hobby. By the way, your Mom will love the sweatshirt jacket you make, as you will make it with love and she will think of you every time she puts it on.
    Welcome to the Board.
    Brenda
    Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 AM

Buy yourself a folding table then when your done you can put it in the closet or find a corner you can call your own. I sewing on the dining room table but it's just my husband and I so I don't worry about it. We eat on tv tables. Good luck I've been in a rut also so many quilts to finish and I can't seem to get started so I at least do some things to keep me going....
    Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 AM
    elm

Hi Wanda,
    Welcome to Florida. I'd offer to get together with you, but I'm way over on the south western edge of St. Petersburg.
    I've found that there is a local group for just about any interest that you have. There are two quilting groups that meet within a few miles of where I live. Check google and local papers to find the quilters near you. I find that the local librarians are a good source also. My library has a message board in the lobbly that every group around posts notices on. See what's happening in yours. Since I live in a condo, I set up an area of my Florida room (thats a narrow area with lots of windows) where I can sew or paint. I leave the ironing board set up and only put it away if I'm having a group of people over and it would be in the way. Friends dropping in would never care. I set my sewing machine up on the breakfast table by the window and I'm good to go.
    Hope you have fun with your project. I saw the same show, but never got around to trying it out. Post a picture soon.
    Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 AM

Hi Wanda and I so understand your feelings. We moved here over 16yrs ago, and I still am not overly fond of this place. I do not deal well with the heat!! And its hot here every single day, well most days. But I guess the winters are worth it, but they are too short.

Like you I have no sewing room either. I finally converted the eat in area of our kitchen and I just don't move anything. Its my spot now and I plan to keep it.

I wish you much luck in finding friends there, and beginning to feel more at home. It will take some time, but you will be able to do it.

I agree, you should tell your DH that you need your place somewhere, and you may have to move a few things, but just some little corner will do. Once you have that, I think things will seem brighter.
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 AM

So sorry to hear your dilemma. This is a lesson to me - I've been considering a move from my two - bedroom house. Perhaps that isn't such a good idea. I do hope you find a way to get your heart's desire to sew back.
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 AM

I would trade you in a heartbeat (to live in FL). We moved from the Buffalo area to an hr from the coast of SC 16 yrs ago, and I would move farther south if hubs would go for it. I know the heat and bugs are really not fun; once your body acclimates you will think 50 degrees is the deep winter, but summer 8 months of the yr is a dream, and then, 3 mos of spring and 1 mos of winter - which is mostly cold rain! lol
    Have you tried putting your peddle on a footstool or short step-up stool? Or, go to a fleamarket and buy a short table (hubs got an older wood schoolrm desk, the kind where you put your books in the opening by your lap) for 5$. You can keep it on a porch or in a breezeway out of the rain and bring it in when you want to sew, or sew outside in cooler weather. (Thats if you dont have room inside)
    If your place is big enough, but it doesnt "fit" the decor you can sew a large topper that hangs down the sides and use it like an end table or just a side table and take the topper off to use it. Or, leave the topper on and make a matching machine cover and put the machine on it and cover it. Very pretty.
    You can paint it or decorate it as you like and make it really "your" space, and the cubby can hold a lot of small sewing tools - rulers, cutter, templates etc.
    Dont give up on sewing, but there is sooo much to do other than sew when you move south! Its just so nice out all the time. sharet
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 AM

This is the place to get the support you need. My Mom had one of those jacket's made by my sister. She loved it.
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 AM

Wanda do you live in a park/retirement setting? Is there a common building or room with space for you equipement? Or what about organizing a sewing day for the other gals who might be interested in doing the same project...........you could be the teacher and make new friends who might feel the same as you do being transplanted.............calla