Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha! >
  • Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha!

• Wondering how many of us get too attached to our quilts-ha!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 AM

I love all my quilts, but if I start one with someone in mind I have no problem at all letting it go, beside I am running out of storage space.
    Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 AM

I love all of them, but have been trying to make at least one for each of my grandkids. Now they are having babies, so I have to live forever so I can get them all done. lol. I feel your pain, but we can only use so many ourselves.
    Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

Most of my quilts are made as gifts. They talk to me and tell me what they want to be and who should be the recipient. At that point I stop thinking of it as "my quilt" and it is really easy for me to give them away.
    Old 09-07-2015, 10:05 AM

I have given all but one of mine away. The one I have I made for myself in a hurry. I get chilled when i take my med's for RA and I got into my scraps and made a quick lap quilt from prints of flowers and butterfly's. I tied it and it has been wonderful for me when I get chilled.
    Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM

Maybe I'm too new at quilting, but the first two tops I've made I donated to our church as the charity they donate to has strict requirements how they are quilted. Had a lot of fun sewing, learned by making mistakes, took a picture of them and they're gone. Third top is a gift that I need to put a border on and quilt. Smaller items have all been intended as gifts. I am enjoying the learning and time working on them. Have started one I intend to keep. Of course, maybe part of it is trying not to keep more "things."
    Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM

I hurts to give them away, even the ones I have sold...I always want to make a duplicate for myself but never end up doing so...
    Old 09-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
    Sometimes when I am making one, it begins to tell me where it is going. .have you had that happen? I will see a pattern I want to try, I will start and be working away on it, and it then just begins to tell me who it will belong to...I have had that happen so many times............and I do love to surprise someone who is not expecting it..........I got to do that last night, to a friend who is someone I met years ago, during a job assignment and she and I have just been friends since then......if I can find the photo, I will put it on here to show you............she was so surprised and so delighted about it..........
    Lovely. Am a retired nurse also. Never thought I would say I love sewing more than my career but funnily enough never missed nursing as much as I would miss quilting.
    Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530109[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by ukdame
    I love each one when I finally finish. I kind if hate giving them to family but I know they will be well used. I plan to sell some at a local bazaar this fall but don't know if I will be able to part w/most of them. They are all special- will.someone love them like I do.
    This was my first attempt at stippling and did not use a pattern- also first time I did sashing. This one is in use at home a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails blackberry-throw-quilt.jpg  
    Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Dream on, I had to downsize and now I have bins with quilts in them and a closet pretty full of them.
    Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 PM

I have a few I haven't been able to part with, I'm sure when the right person needs it I will. May sound weird but the quilts tell me who they belong to...