Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wool applique on flannel >
  • Wool applique on flannel

• Wool applique on flannel

Old 09-21-2024, 03:54 AM

Default Wool applique on flannel

I've been quilting forever but this is the first time I've worked with wool applique. It's a Christmas quilt for my granddaughter. The largest wool pieces are gingerbread men. They're about 6" x 9". My concern is that, once I have the flannel portion quilted, the applique will look too loose and overly puffy.

So my question is (and I apologize if it's a dumb question but I as I mentioned, this is my first wool project) should I have it quilted first and then hand sew the applique? Our will it be fine as long as it's lightly quilted?

Thanks for your advice! Any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated
    Old 09-21-2024, 04:19 AM

I have a friend that does wool applique. It's her thing to do as mine is sewing/quilting. She would have quilted first and then backed the applique with Heat and Bond Lite and hand stitched them in place.
    Old 09-21-2024, 06:57 AM

I have only made one quilt with wool appliqué and it was on cotton, not flannel. I stitched all the wool shapes onto the blocks, then put the quilt together and quilted it. But I stopped and started around each of the pieces. Once the main quilting was done, I went back in and quilted down the shapes, on a bunny I did maybe around the neck and if it was holding a basket, I stitched that shape, just to make sure it was all tacked down, and didn’t poof out.